How can I sum original and remaining time estimates upward to parent issues?

Andy Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 1, 2021

We are using original time field on sub tasks to estimate effort and remaining time field to track progress. We would like to aggregate these up to the Stories and Tasks and, from there aggregate up to Epics. 

I have trawled for answers to something that I seem to remember was a standard check box option in the past but have come up with dead ends. 

Has anyone managed to use automation to do this and if so, in detail with pictures, could you please, please tell me how?  

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

Hello @Andy Smith 

Welcome to the community.

Are you working with a Team Managed or a Company Managed project?

The checkbox you are thinking of is only available in parent issues of Sub-tasks, and it only sums up the time logged and time remaining for the sub-tasks. It does not sum up and modify the Original Estimates value. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

You can get to the sum fields in the issue navigator and a couple of other places, they are listed as "sigma" fields to indicate a sum.

I threw up a really simple example (one issue, one sub-task)

screenshot1.png

Like Andy Smith likes this
Andy Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 2, 2021

Thanks both, I had to copy paste the Σ character from Google :( but when I put it in the column search that which was previously hidden was revealed :) My problem is solved and on the subject of original estimate update I realised how stupid that was when I woke up; it wouldn't be very original if we updated every time we learned more or refined a few more stories DUH!! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

Yes, when you've got more than a few custom fields, they drop to the end of the selection list for "columns to display in the issue navigator" and you either have to know enough of the name to be able to narrow the display down, or work out how to enter Σ in the field.

I rarely work in systems where the words time, remaining and original aren't good enough to shorten the list to include them.  But equally, I paste in Σ when I've got it to hand!

Like Andy Smith likes this

Suggest an answer