How can I migrate data from Jira Core 8.12 to Jira Service Desk ?

OriO December 14, 2021

The company that I work for, had been using Jira Software/Core as their Ticketing System since 2007 with customers all over the globe. 1 Customer = 1 Jira Project, 178 projects and  42.294 issues created 

Now, we want to migrate from Jira Software/Core to Jira Service Desk (instance that already exists within the company, but used only internally) and it turns out, that we would like to keep all the issues data from the Jira Software into the JSD instance.

I do not know that much of JSD features, but I could imagine something like, 1 Jira project could became a JSD Organization(?)

However, we (me and the IT guys in the company) are not sure if a data migration like this is possible.

Do you know any similar case? or a magic plugging especially for this kind of migration? 

Looking forward any help :)

Oriana

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

Hi Oriana,

To my understanding you want to move all projects from a Jira instance that doesn't have Jira Service Management to an instance that does have Jira Service Management?

The easiest would be to activate (buy a license) for Jira Service Management for the instance where the projects currenlty are. You could then create a new JSM project and move the issues from the other projects to this one. Or simply start from scratch with the project and keep the existing issues in their projects.

If you really need to move all issues to the other instance I can recommend this plugin: Configuration Manager for Jira. It can migrate all your issues to another Jira while keeping issue history. Of course you will still need to move all those isues to a single project in the target instance.

Having a JSM organization for each customer sounds right to me.

OriO December 14, 2021

Hello Charlie!

Yes, it is exacly as your understanding.

I'm gad to know that a couple of optionsare available. I will consult the options with our IT guys.

Thank you very much for enlighten me the way :)

Like Charlie Misonne likes this
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

Glad I could help!

Good luck with this project!

Like OriO likes this

Suggest an answer