How can I make a form in Jira Product Discovery Project

Abby Kiesling December 8, 2022

In my previous role, I set up a form connected to my Jira Product Discovery project that enabled anyone to submit ideas to the product team.  I cannot for the life of me see how to do that now that we have a discovery project in my new company.  Was this feature removed from Discovery projects?  If it was, can you bring it back!?!?!?!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2022

Hi @Abby Kiesling,

I don't know how you have created a form in a Jira Product Discovery project before. I cannot remember having seen the capability there.

Forms are a feature of Jira Work Management, which is a different product having its own feature set. While Jira also offers the issue collector, that is only available on company managed projects. Product discovery uses team managed projects as a basis, so that won't work either.

As a workaround, you might consider creating a form in a JWM project to do the intake and create linked issues into JPD from there instead. Or - for other use cases - consider using the Product Discovery browser extension to add ideas to the tool from web content of all sorts.

Hope this helps!

Abby Kiesling December 12, 2022

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I had something set up that enabled my team to go to a landing page and enter text that fed into my new ideas.  

Unfortunately I don't have access to Jira Work Management.  I'll play around with the browser extension though!  Thanks for the workaround advice.  

Jira should definitely add the ability to create a form for product discovering though.  It's so important for the team to be able to aggregate all ideas, and it just makes sense to aggregate it in Discovery instead of in some third party application, forcing product team members to manually add them.  

Like # people like this
1 vote
Adam Koogler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 19, 2023

@Abby Kiesling I too remember that in the original beta of Jira Discovery, I was able to create w form with a url to share with colleagues that are not contributors to Jira.  If any Jira Product Managers are reading this, please add this feature.

Abby Kiesling December 19, 2023

@Adam Koogler Thank you for validating that i'm not completely crazy!  :) 

1 vote
Nick November 11, 2023

Yes, there is a way to create a "form" for creating ideas. It's actually the "templates" for issue types. You can find them in Settings > Features > Create Ideas 

@Abby Kiesling But I agree with you that this functionality needs to be improved.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 22.52.21.png

Jim Eckett November 29, 2023

This is where I get confused, like @Abby Kiesling It literally says inside Product Discovery (roles manager) "intake form." 

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 8.42.44 AM.png

However, the only thing kinda close to that is the templates you're suggesting, @Nick (Plus selecting the view with the fields you may want required.) The lingering problem: the template only works if a user clicks "create" while inside a Product Discovery project or board. 

My company may be an edge case, but since everyone has access to sub issues on all projects and boards, if my users are not in Product Discovery and they click "create" they don't get the beautiful template I crafted for hours. They get the screen-scheme-puke, old-school-Jira style and it understandably demotivates my users from submitting ideas, the life blood of our SaaS company. 

I've heard Jira Devs and Project Managers/Product Owners troll these boards for feature idea insights. Hopefully they see this thread.

Like # people like this
Danielle Bonneau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2024

I totally agree with this - between the 'Create' field layout not matching the template if you are creating outside the context of the Jira Discovery project and not having a url to a form, I'm having a really hard time getting people to submit new ideas through Product Discovery. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events