How can I delete a board from a project?

Eckart Estenfelder August 14, 2015

I want to delete a board from a project and I can't figure out, where this is possible.

11 answers

1 accepted

19 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2015

Agile board can be deleted easily. Just go to Agile drop down -> Manage Boards. Then you should see the delete board button on each board entry,

Rahul

Joaquin Brillembourg August 5, 2016

Rahul, if I delete a Kanban Board that is sharing issues with a Scrum Board (I created the Kanban board copying it from the project), will this delete the issues in both Boards?

Like Jean-Jacques Richard likes this
Rahul Aich August 5, 2016

No it wont. Agile boards are only a view. Issues will be preserved in the underlying database.

Like Sundeep Solomon likes this
Yang Liu January 18, 2019

Where is "Agile" drop down? 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2019

In an older version of Jira.  The menu is "boards" now.

Like # people like this
Peggy Macdonald May 28, 2019

Thanks Nic! That is not something I could find in the Jira help system!

Rafa January 2, 2020

and it doesn't even say "manage boards" anymore... ;) Just "View all" 

Like # people like this
Kimberly Arias February 19, 2020

Thanks for the update, Rafa! You helped me find what i needed. 

Like Rafa likes this
Roberto Carlos April 27, 2020

I've been found the option in this section

27-04-2020 22-41-02.png

Like # people like this
Jayesh Wankhade November 2, 2020

Thanks!

Simone April 1, 2021

I don't see ""view all"

Schermata 2021-04-02 alle 00.13.51.png

Like # people like this
libertum June 19, 2021

If you are using Jira cloud in this date, you can go to Your work >> Boards >> View All Boards
Screen_Shot_2021-06-19_at_15_12_14.png

Like Laurence likes this
29 votes
Vladimir Kosenkov July 19, 2017

In the new interface just search for boards with a search button.

Deleted user September 17, 2017

Thanks!

All other answers worked probable fine for the old interface, so I guess we have to get used to the search button... a spotlight finding your way through the JIRA Clouds.

Like # people like this
Vladimir Kosenkov November 22, 2017

You're welcome Maik!:-)

Macdara Butler December 4, 2017

JIRA is changing so often and so dramatically it is hard to keep pace, even as a power user.

They have committed a lot of crimes against UX under the banner of creating a clean UI

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2017

I'd +1 that, there are so many people asking how to find stuff, the new UI is clearly totally unintuitive.

Like # people like this
Macdara Butler December 5, 2017

Thanks for the tip by the way Vladimir

Anita Sadonig December 5, 2017

Perfect, thanks!

Vladimir Kosenkov December 13, 2017

Glad I could help you guys

Mahmoud Wardeh December 13, 2017

This seems to be an answer to different question. The question for this thread is "How can I delete a board from a project?"

The search button only helps to locate a board. 

I'm still clueless as to how a board can be deleted with the latest UI... The search for an answer continues....

Like # people like this
Macdara Butler December 13, 2017

It's a 3-step process

1. Search for 'Boards'

2. Click on 'View all boards'

3. Click the menu on the board you want to Delete

Screenshot 2017-12-13 13.44.02.pngScreenshot 2017-12-13 13.44.37.png

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2017

There are a couple of references herein that explain how including one I just posted. In fact the Magnifying glass is the portal into many actions now including finding and deleting boards...

magnifying glass - Boards - View all Boards then find the board and use eclipses. 

Thank you! Perfect. Not the most intuitive user journey.

Makes no sense to me why there isn't a "delete board" option in the board settings page.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2017

Because boards do not belong to projects.  The recent UI changes have made that even less clear.

Yes, it's true that boards don't belong to projects, and that can be a useful feature by enabling boards that enable a multi-project overview.

But a board's settings (including deletion of the board) belong to the board, so I don't see why the option to delete a board isn't in the board settings page.

Francisco Medrano December 29, 2017

If there's a active Sprint associated to this board cannot be deleted. I don't like that. 

Nicola Burgess January 26, 2018

Agree - I have the same issue, cannot delete board due to active sprint. The sprint in question is already reported through another board so I wouldn't 'lose' the content as suggested in the message...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2018

@Nicola BurgessDelete when sprint ends and before next begins. 

Andre Gagnon March 9, 2018

At the very least this really needs to be on the board settings page. :/ There's no way someone would think to use the search feature for this.

Jeff Leombruno (Pixel) March 12, 2018

@Macdara Butler thank you, that worked!!

Brandon McCulligh April 6, 2018

OMG thank you, I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours. Who the hell hides things only accessible via a search result? Terrible UX decision.

Like Jean Gordon likes this
Ricardo Medina April 12, 2018

Gracias, muy didáctica tu respuesta, thank

Eduardo Heil May 3, 2018

Thanks @Macdara Butler for the step-by-step!
I don't understand either why isn't a "delete" button right on the board settings. 

Like Michael Hoehndorf likes this
Joseph Kestel May 29, 2018

I also want to add that it is poor UI to access functions via Search. It makes no common sense that Users can intuit this functionality. You guys should know better. Shame, double shame upon you.

Like David Ducrest likes this
Bala Manchikanti May 31, 2018

@Macdara Butler thanks for sharing this. It worked perfect!

Chris_Werner June 13, 2018

I'm fine with obscuring it from the single boards ellipsis, but it should really be under Board Settings too.

Andy Kwok October 1, 2018

Thanks @Macdara , spot on. Thank you.

Michael Hoehndorf November 19, 2019

TY very much.. that finally worked. I am so stressed using this stupid software...ahhh

15 votes
cellepo September 28, 2016

Boards -> View all boards -> row with your board -> ellipsis menu to far -> delete

Igor May 26, 2017

Best Answer

Macdara Butler December 13, 2017

I don't think this works in the new July 2017 UI

Sarah Hunter January 8, 2018

Perfect answer.. Thanks!

Malu March 6, 2019

Resposta perfeita, a melhor de todas .. Obrigada!

Like Eduardo Heil likes this
Mikkel Breum October 6, 2017

Perfect navigating to this url directly let me delete the boards, but how are users supposed to find this without looking in support forums, theres no easy navigation within Jira. The docs says nothing useful (or it's too hard to find) and searching the docs for 'Delete Board' returns 100 articles that doesn't answer this simple question. Coming from TargetProcess I'm puzzled why so many recommend Jira, it doesn't do much to win me over.

Gina Whitty December 4, 2017

Yep. Totally agree ^

Thanks 遠藤 一臣

That link is what I needed. 

Can't believe that the UI team overlooked adding such an important feature to the new UI!

Vick Ghadimian March 10, 2018

ya same here, waste a lot of timing figuring out jira instead of working on my project.. it's suppose to manage your project, but right not it's just frustrates the project

Vick Ghadimian March 10, 2018

this worked, thank you!

Funny how you have to hack it to find the correct place to administer things.

Brian Kitane April 18, 2018

Wow great help! How on earth did you come about this link?

Legna Garcia April 18, 2018

I tried the link but it is unavailable. Was it moved ?

Page unavailable

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

@Legna Garcia, did you replace "yourdomain" with your company's domain? are you on cloud?

oh good point! Thanks! :)

Nuel Orachiri October 7, 2019

Perfect. Just what I needed. Thanks for the link. could not even find it in Jira itself by searching. spent over an hour looking for the link

Dmytro Zayats November 7, 2020

Thank you! It works )))

5 votes
Deleted user July 12, 2019

Holy smokes they hide this functionality.

1. Click on Search

2. Type in board

3. Click the Button Boards at the bottom of the returned results.

4. From the list that is displayed find the board you want to delete. At the far right of the entry/row will be three dots ...

5. Click the ... icon and select Delete. Answer the user friendly pop-up Yes or OK and that will do it.

Ieva Langenfelde August 12, 2019

So logical.. :D oh well, thank you! 

3 votes
Daniel Bols April 5, 2018

I like the scary Active Sprint delete warning. I can show folks how dangerous it is to create a board without the Admin. ☺

I’ve been using an odd workaround for deleting a 2nd board with an active Sprint on the 1st board.

Just change the board’s query.

Usually the Filter Query is like:

project = MyProject ORDER BY Rank ASC

Change it with

Board Settings -> General and filter -> Filter -> Edit Filter Query

to

project = MyProject AND text ~ "DeleteMyBoardRandomText" ORDER BY Rank ASC

The board will be empty, now you can delete it. It’s worked so far, maybe I’ve been lucky?

Hi @Daniel Bols 

No lucky, that really works!!! 

Thanks for bringing this up!!

2 votes
Vincent Kurutza June 22, 2018

Can anyone tell me how to delete a board please?  

Eduardo Heil June 22, 2018

Hi @Vincent Kurutza,
If you are using the new layout, search for the board name, but click on view all boards.
You will get to the board's list where you can click on the (...) on the right of each board and delete them.

Good luck!

Like # people like this
Vincent Kurutza June 22, 2018

Awesome thanks!

Ram August 6, 2018

Worked! Thank you V.

Wayne Wengreen January 3, 2020

Finally . . . took me 30 minutes to find this.

2 votes
Jonathan Brazeau May 8, 2018

so bad UX, i went to the board settings page, the board page itself and from those two there is no easy way to get to the boards master page....so strange. 

2 votes
Benito Agbulos July 19, 2017

Hi. My situation is similar. The team has accidentally created a second scrum board for an existing project. Now they want to delete board 2 and retain board 1. If I delete board 2, I'm afraid it would affect / delete the project's issues (stories, bugs, etc...). Can someone confirm that I can delete board 2 without affecting anything please. Thanks in advance for your help

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2017

deleting boards have no effect on issues. The board is simply a filter display of issues. 

Benito Agbulos July 19, 2017

SUPER! Thanks for confirming

Anyhow, If there's a active Sprint associated to this board cannot be deleted. I don't like that. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2017

@Francisco Medrano, sprints have a direct relationship to the scrum board. Deleting the board w/o closing the sprint could leave things in an awkward state. Closing the sprint and then deleting the board prevents issues.

@Jack Brickey I agree with you this is a user action protection. But when you create the same board by mistake in the project you cannot delete it. Unless you complete or delete the Sprint and then you can do it. 

Kim Rosewall February 25, 2018

Thank you Macdara Butler , simply easy steps for deletion which I wouldn't have found with this UI.

1 vote
Eckart Estenfelder August 14, 2015

Thank you very much. I had searched everywhere but there. wink -> for me the idea wasn't intuitive, that the boards are managed above the project structure.

benclohesy April 16, 2020

I agree with you Eckart! This is bonkers. Going to "View All" to manage the boards is... well, it's just a bad UX all 'round. 

0 votes
Andrei Kuntsevich October 20, 2020

For all newcomers

All boards listed on the page https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/jira/boards

There you can easily manage them (delete, edit, copy...)

Mema Stamataki January 5, 2021

There is no delete button anywhere. I want to delete previous projects that I was following.  Any ideas on that maybe?delete.PNG

Like Jayesh Wankhade likes this
Jayesh Wankhade January 5, 2021

You can navigate to yourdomainname/jira/boards. You will be able to see a list of boards you have created.

Click on the menu icon and you can see the delete option over there.

Please let me know if you still need help. We can connect online.

Like Mema Stamataki likes this

I'm sorry in advance because it might be something completely different from this thread. 

The boards are not mine, I just want to delete them from my projects and not follow them anymore.

Jayesh Wankhade January 5, 2021

If you can join now here is the link. 

meet.google.com/

ok.

Suggest an answer