How can I create another layer of sub - tasks from sub tasks

Pedro Pablo Alcantara May 6, 2021

Greetings community, how can I have sub-tasks within sub-tasks?

We had this set up like this in my organization once but I can't find a way of making this function available to the team. 

I want to be able to divide the sub-tasks into additional sub-tasks and assign them to the team: 

Epic -> Story -> Task -> Sub Task -> sub-task. 

Please help me out.

With gratitude, 

Pedro. 

4 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Hi @Pedro Pablo Alcantara,

I am sorry that this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but you can't. Sub-task is the deepest level the hierarchy goes.

There may be an alternative, as it seems you are on a premium plan. That has advanced roadmaps built-in, which does allow you to extend your hierarchy beyond the standard Epic > Tast > Sub-task Jira offers. Only, that extension is towards the top (so above Epics) and not towards the bottom. See this article for more information.

I notice also that you mention a hierarchy Epic -> Story -> Task -> Sub Task -> sub-task. Even ranking Story above Task is not possible in Jira: they are both at the same level in Jira, between Epics and Sub-tasks. If you are convinced you have ever built a hierarchy like that, that makes me assume you have one day used a marketplace like ALM Works' Stucture. This does let you build customised hierarchies as well indeed. But again, that is not standard Jira.

Hope this helps! 

Thank you, this was extremely helpful to understand and provided exactly what I was looking for. 

God bless you!

With gratitude, 

Pedro. 

4 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2021

Hi, @Pedro Pablo Alcantara !

Jira has 3 issue-levels: Epic -> Task/Story/Bug -> Sub-task. Look through cool and useful article - Understanding issue types in jira .

But I understand what you mean, my company use Structure for that - Structure - Project Management at Scale . 

It helps us to create any user-defined issue hierarchies.

Thank you so much. 

Like Alexander Bondarev likes this
4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

You don't.

Jira does not do sub-tasks of sub-tasks.

There are however, some apps that add something that looks a lot like it.  The go-to app for me on this is Structure.

Thank you my friend. 

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

Hi, @Pedro Pablo Alcantara. If you decide to take a closer look at Structure, feel free to reach out to us with any questions you may have about using it for your use case.

Either way, best of luck to you. 

-dave [ALM Works]

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events