How can I automate assigning earliest open FIX VERSION to status selected

Vera_Rabkina May 20, 2020

Hi!
This is what I'm looking for:

Every time I select status CLOSED, I want earliest open Fix Version to be automatically assigned.
Is it possible to do this in JIRA?

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2020

Hello @Vera_Rabkina

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand you would like to automatically add the older unreleased version to your issues when you transition them to the "Closed" status. Is that correct?

You can achieve this goal using the Jira Automation functionality. These would be the steps:

1. Navigate to your Project > Project settings > Automation
  2. Create the following rule, replacing the status "Done" to "Close" (I only had the status "Done" in my test instance):
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 17.06.36.png

The rule above will add the version that is in the bottom position of the release page of the project, which is the oldest unreleased version by default. It will not consider the version start or release dates.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Vera_Rabkina May 22, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves 
Hi Petter, thank you a lot for the reply. Could you please make sure the screenshot attached is correct, looks like it is for another issue?

But thank you anyway, this is already very helpful :)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2020

Hello @Vera_Rabkina

You are welcome!

Thank you for pointing out my mistake. Indeed, I have uploaded the wrong screenshot in my last reply.

I edited it with the correct one now. Please, let me know if that automation works as you need.

Vera_Rabkina May 22, 2020

Thank you @Petter Gonçalves 
Does this solution support Cloud version?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2020

You are welcome, @Vera_Rabkina

The site where a tested the automation above is a Jira Cloud site, so it might work in the same way for you.

Have a nice weekend and let us know if you have any other questions.

Like Vera_Rabkina likes this
Deleted user July 14, 2021

Hello @Petter Gonçalves 
Apologies for the intrusion. I would like to replicate your automation rule described above, but when replicating steps, the drop down menu does not include 'Next Unreleased Version'. 

Can you please help on troubleshooting it?

Any help/advice would be appreciated :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events