How To Make Transitions With No Notifications To Customer For Certain Requests

Jonathan Forrester March 15, 2019

Hello,

My team uses JSD Cloud for our customers but also take incoming calls and log them in the solution. What Im trying to see is if there is a way to label a certain case a certain way so that it assigns the ticket to the customer but does not create any notifications so after the call when the case is submitted they arent getting all transition emails. 

Ex. Custom Field = Call, THEN no notification emails should be sent to a customer but is posted in their name / company. 

Im thinking that this might need to be done with some coding but I didnt know if there was a certain way to do it in JSD. 

Thank you for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2019

Hello Jonathan,

I hope you had a great weekend.

I understand that you would like to configure your Status change notifications to be sent only when a specific issue field is not configured with a specific value. Is that correct?

You can use the own Automation feature of JIRA Service Desk to properly configure the Notification as you want. These would be the steps:

1 - Navigate to your Project > Project settings > Automation

2 - Configure an automation rule like the one below:

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 17.24.26.png

3 - Notice that a new notification will appear in the Customer notification menu:

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 17.25.59.png

4 - Disable the default notifications you want (Request resolved, Request reopened, etc)

That been said, I must confess that I get a little confused about this part:

Im trying to see is if there is a way to label a certain case a certain way so that it assigns the ticket to the customer

Would the customer automatically be assigned to the issue? How would it get the customer that would be on the call?

Additionally, issues cannot be assigned to customers, but only to Service Agents with the proper JSD license. Customers can only be added as the reporter/Request participant of the issues.

Please, let me know if I have properly understood your request.

Jonathan Forrester March 18, 2019

From what I read its a little correct on that part. Basically my team does proactive cases which dont require the customer to know that we have done a case for them. What im looking for is if I make a custom field where it can be changed to "Proactive" that it doesnt alert our customer:

Ex. Agent in JSD creates ticket for customer, changes a custom field to proactive, the customer doesnt get any alerts. (Status Changes or resolution) just for that one case. The customer has no input for those types of cases, we are just assigning cases to the customer. 

Does that help a little more with what im trying to do? 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2019

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your explanation.

I think I have understood it properly in my first message and the given steps to achieve it should work like a charm. :)

Let me know if you face any questions while performing the steps provided. 

Jonathan Forrester March 18, 2019

I have 1 question on #4, do we still need to disable that if they are only for certain tickets are not to get responses? I just want to make sure I understand 100 percent.

Thanks!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2019

Hello Jonathan,

On step 2, you will create a notification that will be sent when an issue is transitioned and the custom field is not Call.

P.S: I used Label != test since I don't have a custom field. For your case it would be:

Custom field != call

That been said, if you don't disable the default notifications on step 4 it will create double notifications for the issues without the Custom field and it will keep sending a single one for the issues with the custom field configured.

Let me know if it makes sense

0 votes
Jonathan Tessier April 17, 2019

I have a similar problem and doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm trying to not notify a client when the issue is resolved with a label nonotify.

Please help!!

Jonathan Tessier April 17, 2019

Annotation 2019-04-17 153317.png

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
April 17, 2019

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

A very common mistake that some persons do is expect that the != operator will return all the issues that are not equal to the defined value + issues with no values set.

Actually, the != operation will only return the issues which have a valid value which is not the defined parameter.

That been said, the automation you configured will not fire if the issue resolved does not have any labels.

If you want to send the notification also when the issues are not configured with any labels, you can use the query below:

- labels != nonotify or labels is empty

Let me know if this information helps.

Like Jonathan Tessier likes this
Jonathan Tessier April 18, 2019

Thanks it works!!!

Suggest an answer