How Epics influence Version Report

Tytus Wachowski April 1, 2022

Hello,

as I understand it there is a choice that has to be made - estimate Epics or use Version Report. Am I right?

I mean that if I estimate the Epic (sum SP or time from child issues etc.) then this estimate is doubled in Version Report making it unusable. Even when we consider that estimates are also burnt twice faster (once for the issue, once for it part in the Epic) it still makes Version Report unusable because issues without the Epic will burn in regular pace.

Do I really have to make this choice or am I messing something up? How do you guys deal with it? Maybe there is some walkaround?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2022

Actually, there's no choice to be made here.  Just use Epics as they are supposed to be used 

If you really want to see estimates on Epics, then automate summing up the child issue estimates into another field on the Epic, so the reporting doesn't look at them. 

Abinash Deepak September 28, 2022

Well, I raised a similar question - If you don't estimate the epics, the Version report shows them as unestimated - How to exclude Epics from Version report ? (atlassian.com)

Suggest an answer