Force linking issue from different project when transitioning to a specific status?

Mihir Vibhu March 29, 2024

Hi ,

We have currently a automation that links ticket from different project to team managed project whenever someone tries to transition request to "On Roadmap". 

Whenever an assignee transitions to On Roadmap status, they are reminded to fill JIRA KEY and we use the key to link the tickets. However sometimes assignees just enter the who JIRA link and that blocks the linking of the tickets. 

We want to remove adding the JIRA KEY and instead use JIRA Link as its much simpler to copy paste. Can you kindly assist? The only way I found is to do it via company managed workflow and add validator, however this won't work for us as it' team managed project. 

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Mihir Vibhu 

I assume the source Project, which has the "On Roadmap" status, is Team-managed?

If yes, I'm not sure you can do this in Team-managed - there's a limited set of conditions and validators.

But also, wouldn't it be better to ensure users are using Linked Issues, rather than a separate field, so they learn how to use the tool better?

---

One alternative would be to use Automation (although it's a workaround) - for example...

• If an issue is transition to "On Roadmap"
  • And, no Linked Issue is found to Project B
  • Then, transition the issue back to the previous Status
  • And notify the initiator that a linked issue is required via a comment

^ It's not exactly the same, but would have the desired effect natively.

---

Let us know if you think the Automation Rule is a suitable alternative - and if you need help building it, we'd be happy to help :)

Ste

Thank you @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Our aim is mostly to save time, and we have been able to use JIRA KEY so far. 

will try your suggested solution. However do you know if we can extract JIRA key from entered comment? and potentially link it. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Mihir Vibhu 

You should be able to do it using a smart value and a variable, although it does assume the key is entered correctly each time.

How do you guarantee the key is correct each time (given users are already using links)?

This is why I think teaching users how to use the platform's features is a better option.

Ste

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Users are already using JIRA to manage thier roadmap. I know that there are 2 types of weburl  folks can copy. Issue is that JIRA roadmap are managed by POCs and not all of the higher level user know jira tool. 

I checked and in most scnario 2 automation considering a link could be https://xyz. atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/xy/queues/issue/[JIRAKEY] or

https://abc.atlassian.net/browse/https://xyz.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/xyz/boards/1234?selectedIssue=[JIRAKEY]

Potentially extract any of those depending on whats entered?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events