Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Filter values in a custom drop-down list field

Hello,

It is possible to filter the values in a custom drop-down list field based on another field?

For example, if I have a drop-down list containing multiple values for different organizations, for each ticket I want to display in the drop-down list only the values related to the organization on the issue.

Thanks!

4 answers

1 vote
Tessa Tuteleers Community Leader Feb 12, 2021

Hi @Cristina Sandulescu,

The obvious answer could be to use a Cascading select list, where you filter the second list of options based on the first list. However, that would not work with your organization field of course.  

Sadly, available options that work for server / datacenter, are not so easy on cloud or even possible at all. Atlassian doesn't allow apps like Insight and Scriptrunner (with Behaviours)  to get the data of issue fields while you are still creating them, or so I understood. 
However, since Insight is now part of Atlassian, this could change for them in the (near) future. 

So, not an immediate solution for now, but I hope in the future there will be! 

- Tessa

Hi Tessa,

Appreciate your response but I cannot use a Cascading select list because I don't want to display the first part (the client should not choose his own name or view the other clients). 

John Funk Community Leader May 04, 2022

Thanks for sharing that Jordyn. We actually use the External Fields add-on from Code forty-nine, but I have not done the search function before. I will have to give it a try!

Like Jordyn K_ Lee likes this

@Atlassian has there been any updates to this? I'm currently in desperate need of this option. Specifically, if I have one drop down to select a group, and the next field updates to reflect only subgroups of the selected option above. Suggestions? 

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Feb 13, 2021

Hi Cristina,

You could do that with the add-on ProForma forms. But I am not aware of any other way to accomplish your scenario in Jira Cloud. 

John Funk Community Leader May 02, 2022

@Cristina Sandulescu  - Any update? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

1,498 views 11 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you