Filter epics linked to another project and a dedicated issue type

Rebecca Graf May 3, 2023

Hey community,

I just started with Jira Plans as I think that could be very beneficial for us to have a more holistic view on the current status of initiatives.

Our Jira setup is currently as follows:

- Own project for Initiative Level (project = INIT) showing the high level initiative in any stage of the workflow

- Own projects per team (project = TEAMA or project = TEAMB as so on) with Epics linked to a dedicated initiative in the project = INIT to have all the contributing epics visible within the initiative  -> more than one team can work on an initiative 

I would like to create a filter giving me all unresolved initiatives AND all unresolved epics linked to those initiatives. I tried to set something up like

issuetype = Initiative and resolution = unresolved OR issuetype = epic AND issueLinkType is not EMPTY AND resolution = unresolved AND project in (TeamA, TeamB, TeamC,...)

but it doesn't build the relation between Epics and their linked initiative. 

As the keys of active initiatives are not static I need a generic JQL here, something like 

issue in linkedIssues(INIT-123)

does not help.

Besides that I'd like to create a hierarchy accordingly in plans, using the initiative as highest level and showing the epics from all teams contributing below. 

Any ideas how to get that solved?

Thanks in advance,

Rebecca

1 answer

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Rebecca Graf

I’m Maurício, a support engineer at Appfire and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, using JQL of Jira, you’ll not be able to do it dynamically.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this query to find all unresolved initiatives and all unresolved epics linked to those initiatives:

issue in linkedIssuesOfQuery("type=Initiative AND resolution = unresolved") and type = epic and resolution = unresolved OR issue in linkedIssuesOfQuery("type=epic AND resolution = unresolved") and type = initiative and resolution = unresolved

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query.

We’ll be happy to help you!

Best regards,
Maurício

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders