Field updated without my knowledge

Yuliia Zhyliaieva January 11, 2021

Hi, 

The issue states that I updated the custom fields Start date and Due date. I definitely didn't do it. What could have triggered it? I have no respective automation rules 

Untitled.png

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi, @Yuliia Zhyliaieva !

Looks like automation rule or listener from app(Jira Software doesn't have out-of-box listeners), that works under reporter/assignee/etc. 

Check your apps:

Settings => Apps => Manage Apps => User-installed apps 

Maybe you have something like Scriptrunner, Automation for Jira, etc.

After that will can check rule's configuration.

I do have automation rules, but can't find any that could trigger this update. Actually I was in a meeting when this happened. 

Right now I can go through audit logs of every automation rule I created (over 30). Do you thing there is a any way to find the reason more efficiently?

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

What app we are talking about? It depends on app - some of them let to filter by project (or look rules throught the current project settings).

In my opinion, it will be faster and more productive to check the configurations (conditions and actions) of the rule than the rule logs.

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

And maybe strange question - is it really Jira Software project(not Jira Service Management with own project rules)?

@Alexander Bondarev Nothing strange, I am lost too) I have Software project for certain

@Alexander Bondarev I only use Automation for JIRA, no other apps that deal with automations

@Alexander Bondarev @Prince Nyeche 

Another piece of information about it - I am using Plans in Premium plan, and the fields were updated from thereUntitled.png, we never update them on the issue. Does that throw any more light?

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

Advanced Roadmaps use Jira fields (from issues).

When you updating information in Roadmap - it updates issues. It looks like "Actor from Plans updated fields..." in issue history.

Have you updated information in Roadmap "2 hours ago"(like we see on your first question's screen)?

@Alexander Bondarev I didn't, that's what is confusing for me and the team

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

Hm, interesting. 

Okey. let's check our first version - Automation rules. 

1. Go to issue(where we can see strange edits)

2. Go to "Project settings"

3. Automation

4. Tab "Rules" => "Project rules"

How many rules there? 

We should find the rule that have action "Edit issue fields"(with pencin-icon):

test.png

@Alexander Bondarev  I found it!

It turns out that if some other user changes the plan, and you commit those changes (in my case I didn't notice that someone else had changed the dates), YOU are the one who appears in the issue history

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

Yes, that's exactly how it is.
You accept the plan and update the tasks in Jira Software.

Thank you for interesting case, @Yuliia Zhyliaieva !

1 vote
Answer accepted

Conclusion:

Someone else updated the Plan in JIRA, but didn't commit changes.

I committed my changes together with the ones I didn't notice (made by someone else)

In issue history it was me who committed the changes, and thus changed the dates on the issue

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2021

Mystery solved. Thanks for updating us. Have a good day ahead.

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

Hi @Yuliia Zhyliaieva 

It seems that your API token was used to update that field. do you have any application that may be using your API token? You can confirm here to see when last your token was used if any.

I went through the automation rule logs, there is none that triggered the event

As for the tokens, does this help?Untitled.png

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

If this issue only occurred today, then it's not the token. Can you think of any Apps that you may have such as BigPicture Add-on, this has the tendency to update those fields?

Nope, I don't have addons like that, and no automation rules triggered the event. I even considered the possibility that someone made it under my account, but I am an admin, and I would be sent a notice, right?

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

@Prince Nyeche , nice idea about app that uses date-fields(Due Date, Start Date).

@Yuliia Zhyliaieva , maybe you have something like Structure, Structure.Gantt?

Nope, I don't at the moment. And when I used to have it, usually it said that the app updated the field, not my name

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events