Field required dependent on another field

Andrew Grossman January 31, 2022

Is it possible to configure a workflow validation so that upon an issue being moved to started, one field can determine if another field needs to be filled in?

I have a "QA Required" field (Yes/No). I want to add a validation that requires the "QA Engineer" field be filled in if "QA Required" is "Yes".

This seems like it should be easy to do. It also seems like something that JIRA doesn't support out of the box. However, I've seen too many cases where JIRA actually does provide a feature, it's just that the UI makes it essentially an easter egg that one has to ask about or hunt for.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2022

Hi @Andrew Grossman 

Yes it seems to be possible. Modified from this answer  by @John Funk .

1. Create two transitions in your workflow for the point you want to make sure that QA Required is Yes
  2. For one transition place a condition if QA required is not Yes
  3. For the other transition place a condition if QA Required is Yes
  4. Then on that same transition add a validator and make the QA Engineer required.

Thanks,

Tim

Andrew Grossman January 31, 2022

Thanks, @Tim Perrault . That appears to be a workable solution. 

Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2022

Glad to help. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events