Exported Issues from JIRA server to Import into JIRA Cloud -not all fields show required information

Cynthia August 8, 2022

I am working in our sandbox.  I exported Issues from JIRA server to Import into JIRA Cloud.  The import appeared to be successful but not all fields show required information even though the fields are mapped, more particularly the description field.  The description field is mapped accordingly.  The field in the .csv file has asterisks in the data - at the beginning of the data and in other areas of the field as well.  Will using asterisks limit the display of the required data? Exported data from JIRA server version 13.13. 

The description field is blank:

Description

Add a description...

Activity

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Hello @Cynthia 

Welcome to the community.

Can you provide an example of what the CSV content looks like for the Description field that includes asterisks?

Cynthia August 8, 2022

Hi Trudy - thank you for your quick response.

The data is the description of the user story and looks similar to this:

*As a* manager

*I need the ability to* see a summary of all of my assets by status (Submitted, In Process, Finished Good, Rejected, Scrapped, Inspect Only) by LC down to the T level

*So that I can* ensure every asset I submit is accounted for.

Story Acceptance Criteria [ How will the user/requester know the need has been met?]: 
# *Verify that* Submitted ~ Sum of all other statuses
# *Verify that* each roll up for Finished Goods matches SMART
# *Verify that* every other status sum matches raw data
# verify that beginning assets are  in stock is available
# Verify that each status of asset is shown (submitted/processed/retreaded/repaired only/scrapped/inspected)
# Verify that the details for each status are available (# of assets in each status and the month )
# Verify that can filter to see details for just repairs by repair type 
# Verify that R Details are available by cover at a T level
# Verify that the Reject and Scrap details are available by cover at a T level 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

How does that look in the context of the CSV file?

It looks like you are getting markdown for numbered lines and bolded text. Is that correct?

I don't have a Jira server to test with, but I created an issue in Jira Cloud using numbering and bolding in the Description field for multiple lines and this is what it looked like when I exported the issue:

Issue Type,Issue key,Issue id,Summary,Assignee,Assignee Id,Reporter,Reporter Id,Priority,Status,Resolution,Created,Updated,Due date,Description
Story,CS-15,10065,testing export/import formatting,,,Trudy Claspill,5edebb3cfff48a0ab529eba0,Medium,To Do,,08/Aug/22 8:26 PM,08/Aug/22 8:26 PM,,"# Numbered and *bolded text*
# More numbered and *bolded text*"

The multi-line Description content was surrounded by double-quotes, and carriage returns in shown in the field in Jira Cloud showed as CR/LF in the exported CSV.

When I used that same formatting on a CSV for import, the data imported correctly.

I can't say why your fields ended up blank without having a sample of your CSV data, formatted as it actually is in your file, to work with.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events