• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Hi Guys,

I've had an Epic with Tasks under it. Then I had to change configuration and changed Task issue type to Epic, so now I have epic under epic .. 

Is there any chance to return it to normality, so all the epics live under project?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Dec 10, 2020

hmmm, not sure how that could happen TBH. When you say you "changed Task issue type to Epic" can you explain how you did this specifically. 

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 18.41.42.png

Here's how it looks now - really weird! I was changing issue type via Roadmap view

Jack Community Leader Dec 10, 2020

Is this NG or Classic? If you take say COT-3 for example can you add say Stories under it? I wonder if this is simply an icon thing or is COT-3 (and others) truly Epics? I suspect we are dealing w/ a 'roadmap' issue here not an actual issue hierarchy. I see you are on Standard and while Premium allows for another level of hierarchy (Initiative > Epic > Story > sub-task) Standard does not.

Now I don't use Roadmaps so help me understand the steps you performed so that I might test for myself.

Yep that's classic Kanban. All COT-3 - COT-5 have tasks under it. Yeah, seems like roadmap shows wrong hierarchy as Kanban board shows it totally different and I shouldn't have created issues from Roadmap view.

So I created one Epic with Tasks under it in Roadmap view. Then I decided these tasks actually have to be Epics and changed issue type. In roadmap view they moved to the Project root and everything looked correct. So I added Tasks under new epics.

We have already started the project and now I see that in Kanban board the Hierarchy is totally broken!

Thanks for help!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,018 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you