Epic roadmap: how to place epics in roadmap based on sprints planning

Virginia Morrone May 11, 2021

Hi all, 

I'd like to know if there's a way to automatically see epics in the roadmap based on the epic sprint and on the tickets sprint belonging to a specific epic. 

For instance:

- I have an epic called "Epic 1" with 25 stories 

- I put all the 25 stories in the Sprint 35, that goes from the 1st of June to the 30th of June

- I'd like to see the Epic 1 placed in the roadmap under the Sprint 35 and the month of June 

I attach a screenshot: 

Screenshot (2).png

Right now I have all tickets belonging to the epic Cart planned in the sprint 35, but the bar is not showing up in the roadmap. 

I've also tried to give a sprint to the epic, but still no results. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

Hi @Virginia Morrone  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The epics on the Basic Roadmap display based on the Start Date and Due Date fields.  You would need to set those fields to have the bars display.  Often an epic is a large body of work and so could span multiple sprints, so please consider that if it fits your case.

You could set the epic's date fields manually, use a scripting addon, or use an automation rule based upon changes to the sprint field (or the child issues).

Assuming your epics fit in one sprint, you could use this automation rule if you set the sprint manually:

• Trigger: sprint field changes
  • Condition: issueType is epic
  • Action: edit issue fields, changing the Start Date to the sprint starting date and Due Date to the sprint ending date

With a more complex rule, you could let the child issues drive the parent's date range.

To learn more about automation, please look at these examples and documentation:

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events