Epic inherit custom field from parent

Andrew Martin June 30, 2022

Hi!

I'm looking to set up an automation rule that will mean epics inherit a custom field from their parent. The use case for this is;

• We are using a custom hierarchy in which there are two levels above epics. 
  • We would like to be able to change a custom field on the highest level and have that cascade down to the task level
  • There is an already an automation rule (see below) which works for tasks when the epics custom field is changed, however this does not work for epics and above

jira.PNG

Any advice on how to get this to work?

Cheers

1 answer

0 votes
Florian PEREZ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2022

Hello ,  

unfortunatly this will be hard.

Jira only truly understand 2 level of hierarchy 

Epic is a parent of task ( task can be all king of ticket such as story, bug, task, ideas...)

Task is a parent of subtask 

That's all. 

You'll have to build specific link between each level of hierarchy and use them one by one. 

This is why it's not a good practice to get something higher than epic in Jira. Jira handle very badly these cases.

Andrew Martin June 30, 2022

Hi Florian,

Thanks for explaining. The additional layers of hierarchy are used for grouping within the advanced roadmap view to make it more readable.

As for the specific links, how would I go about setting that up?

Cheers

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Andrew - have you already added a level above Epics yet? Such as Initiatives? 

Andrew Martin July 1, 2022

Hi John,

We already have Initiatives above epics as well as themes which sit above those

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2022

Great  - then you should have already identified what that issue link relationship is. Probably blocks/is blocked by or depends on/is dependent upon or something like that. 

Hi John,

The only like I can see between the two is parent issue on the left hand side and child of in the linked issues section in the middle. Do I need to set up another link "such as depends on" to be able to do this? The relationship was created in advanced roadmaps if that's relevant

Cheers

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

Can you share a screenshot of one of the Initiative level issues? 

Also, when you say the automation does not work - what does that mean? That it doesn't fire? It gives you an error? Or it fires, no error, but it doesn't do what you want it to do? And can you share a screenshot of the audit log for that transaction? 

Jira Rule.jpgIssue is with the rule not firing, nothing to show in the audit log

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

If it's not firing, then I would check the Rule Details to see if you have the box checked to Allow other rule actions ...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events