Epic children are hidden within Epics on Team Board

Kelly Donovan March 25, 2021

Hi there, 

I am new to Jira Cloud. When I add stories to an Epic, they appear how I would expect when I am actually on the Project Board. In the Backlog, you see the Story and it adds the coloured Epic label.

We have a team board that is pulling in stories from different projects based on a filter. Instead of the Epic child story appearing on its own in the board Backlog with the label, it is only contained *within* the Epic itself and you can't find the story until you click on the Epic. 

What I see on team board - this Child Issue is the only place I can find VACAD-20:

Screenshot at Mar 25 12-29-22.png
What I see on project Backlog (what I want to see!) 
Screenshot at Mar 25 12-30-21.png

How can  I configure the board so Epic children are not hidden within Epics? 

3 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

Hello @Kelly Donovan 

Is the VACAD project a Classic project or a Next Gen project?

If your board is pulling from multiple projects, then it will show only the issues that are within the scope of its filter. Is the filter for that board constructed in such a way that it is pulling in both epics and stories? Can you share the filter with us?

Is it a Scrum Board or a Kanban board? Can you share an image of the board with us?

If it is a Kanban board and you have the Backlog feature turned on, then the issue will not appear in the Board view until you have changed the issue's status to one that is mapped to a column on your board.

If it is a Scrum board, the issue will not appear on the Board view until you add it to a sprint and start that sprint, as Scrum boards show only the issues contained in Active sprints.

0 votes
Jeremy White January 5, 2022

I am having the same issue and can find no workaround other than to avoid using Epics in next-gen projects.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

The method used to identify the parent Epic of a Story is different in a Company Managed project vs. a Team Managed project. In a Company Managed project the parent Epic Issue Key is stored in the "Epic Link" field in the child Stories. In a Team Managed project, the parent Epic Issue Key is stored in the "Parent" field of the child Stories.

The agile boards you can build based on saved filters is designed on the assumption that the Epic Link field is used to denote the parent Epic for an issue, and the Parent field is used to denote the parent issue (i.e. Story) for a Sub-task. The way the data is displayed is based on this assumption.

Since Team Managed projects don't use the Epic Link field, the data display will not be as you expect, in a board based on a saved filter.

Refer to this article and the comments therein for more information:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Multiple-boards-in-Business-and-Team-Managed-Projects-You-bet/ba-p/1719761

0 votes
Carl Screwvala August 15, 2021

I have the same issue.

• A next gen project is included on a classic board which spans multiple other classic projects also.
  • There are no filters beyond filtering to the required projects.
  • Stories with a 'parent' next gen Epic are hidden from backlog. As soon as I remove  the parent epic the Story appears in backlog. 
  • In the next gen projects own board, they apppear fine and with the Epic tag as expected

How do I get next gen stories associated to an Epic to appear in the classic board backlog? It seems a weird rule to enforce
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

@Carl Screwvala 

See the answer I posted in response to another user on this thread.

The stories that are children of Epics from Team Managed projects are hidden in the shared board because the design of that type of board thinks they are Sub-tasks, based on the parent Epic Issue Key being stored in the "Parent" field rather than the "Epic Link" field in Team Managed project issues.

There is no work around for this at this time.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events