Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Epic across multiple projects

I want to create an Epic for a business requirement that impacts multiple projects. 

Each project needs stories linked to this Epic. 

Is this possible to do?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John M Funk Community Leader Sep 08, 2020

Hi Cathy,

Yes, Epics can be linked to issues across multiple projects no matter what project the Epic was created against. 

Like John M Funk likes this

Hi John, 

Our requirement is also exactly same but with the help of either any app integrated in JIRA or via Rest API's. is there a way to do so since creating dependent tickets on epic is so time consuming that we are looking to automate the same.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance,

Shravani Pandarmish.

John M Funk Community Leader Oct 26, 2020

Hi Shravani - Can you create a new question for the community for this? I will get a lot more attention that way. I will answer there also. But the quick answer is yes, automation for Jira can do that for you. 

Here's some information to get you started:

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Hey John,

Created a new ticket for the same.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/EPIC-Automation-to-create-Dependent-Stories-across-Multiple/qaq-p/1516558

The ask is if we can create a screen where it populates the projects available in the org and on a click of a button it should be able to clone the dependent stories across projects for the EPIC [OR] If there is any app in Jira itself where in it will help creating the dependent stories at ease.

It would help if you could tell us how to raise a support ticket instead of the community ticket that way we can explain the requirement over the call in much more detail.

John M Funk Community Leader Oct 26, 2020

I am not an Atlassian employee - just another Jira user who likes to help out.  :-)

I will post a response on the other post. 

Like Shravani Pandarmish likes this

Hi, I also need this functionality described at the beginning. But for me it doesn't work. I create a story in a specific project A. I want to link it to an epic that exists already in a different project B, but can only select epics that exist in my current project A. Can you please help?

John M Funk Community Leader Nov 30, 2020

Hi Katja - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You should always create a new question in the Community so more people will see and and can help. 

Hey @John M Funk, could you help us understand how we are supposed to do that? It's impossible on my side to link tickets from different Projects to one Epic...

Using next-gen projects.

John M Funk Community Leader Oct 04, 2021

Ah, no you won't be able to do that with Next-gen (Team-managed) projects. Sorry about that.  :-(

Is it planned to make it available? We are handling different User Experiences across different projects, but with really high coupling which means we frequently need to impact multiple projects per Epic...

Like Eric Jahn likes this
John M Funk Community Leader Oct 05, 2021

Not sure - you would need to check with the Team-managed product managers.

Hi John , i am using the company managed project and still can not find a way to share an epic across different projects , any idea how i can do that ? thnx

John M Funk Community Leader Jun 17, 2022

Hi Lojayna - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you are on the task/story/issue, you should be able to select the value for the Epic in the Epic Link field, even if it is on a different project from the issue's project. 

Hi John Thank you so much. i am learning my way around that was very useful 

@John M Funk  one more question , can a story/issue appear in more than one project ?

John M Funk Community Leader Jun 17, 2022

You are very welcome. 

No - it can be associated with one and one only. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,777 views 37 47
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you