Epic Status based on Task Status - JIRA Cloud

Sunil Muniyal September 6, 2016

Hello,

Is it possible to change Epics status based on a change in task status?

Scenario:
Epic 1 in Analysis status:
Task 1 linked to Epic 1
Task 2 linked to Epic 1

I would like to have a capability to automatically change the status of linked epic (Epic 1) or alarm the Epic owner upon completion of (marked as complete) of both the tasks under that Epic i.e. Epic 1.

Please advise.

Thanks
Sunil M. 

1 answer

0 votes
Annette G. September 7, 2016

Hi Sunil,

What I've done in the past is two things: 

1. Add a post action to comment linked issues. This will send a comment to the Epic. If your notifications are set up this way, the epic would then notify the watcher or assignee (however you've set it up) about the comment.
  2. Add a post function to trigger linked issues of the "Belong to Epic" type. However, I ran into the problem that since the new JMWE plugin, There is no check available anymore to prevent the Epic from transitioning while not all issues are done. 

The commenting part is easy, but the transition will be harder. It really depends if you always have the same number of tasks linked to an epic. Most likely you don't...

I'll keep an eye on your post for that part - if I find the solution, I can share it in your post as well...

Sunil Muniyal September 7, 2016

Hello Anette,

Thank you for the response. Will try the suggested steps and post back the results.

Thanks

Sunil M.

Sunil Muniyal September 7, 2016

Annette,

I tried to follow the above steps, however, couldnt pass through Step 1 itself. I do not see provision to add a comment to epic in either task or epic workflow. PFA is the screenshot of what I see in post functions. Please advise if I should be looking at a different location.

Thanks
Sunil M. Task Workflow - Post Function.JPG

Suggest an answer