Ensuring users only see their own project

Jim Stewart November 29, 2021

I assume this is a permissions thing. But can you point me to how I can ensure that users see only their own projects? This is a free plan so not sure if it's possible.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2021

Hello Jim!

For each project, you need to set the Browse Project permission to limit access to either a group or set of project roles.

Setting access by project roles allows the Project administrator for each project to allow access.  Setting access by group will involve coordination with the Site Admin.

Hope this helps!

Ok, that rings a bell. Let me play around with that a little. Thanks. 

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ Everything I can find on this says that I cannot do what you're suggesting on the free plan. Is that true or am I missing something? Permission.jpg

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2021

Sorry Jim.  Looks like this is true.  Here's the support article indicating what can't be configured with the Free plans.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/permissions-and-issue-level-security-in-free-plans/

Ok, well. Maybe now that I'm actually using it with clients, time to upgrade I suppose. 

Like Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ likes this

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ Ok. I upgraded to the standard plan. Here's something that confuses me. If someone has the 'Browse Projects' permission, does that mean they can see all projects in Jira? Or if I go into the settings for a given project and I don't give them 'Browse Projects,' does that mean I'm revoking the permission to browse just that project or all projects? I literally do not want someone to see this one project. 

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2021

So, each project will have its Browse Projects (and other per-project permissions) based on the associated permission scheme.  If more than one project has the same permission scheme, setting Browse Project permission based on something that spans projects (like groups) will have the permission set on multiple projects.  Something like setting permissions with project roles should get what you want.

I think I may have it. I will update this as soon as I am sure. Thanks

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2021

Are you working with Company Managed projects, Team Managed projects, or both?

Permission Schemes apply only to Company Managed projects.

Company-managed only. I used Team Managed once and let's say I found it wanting. I think I have the permissions set correctly. But I am waiting for these two guys to log in so I can log in as them to see what they have access to. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events