Enabling/Disabling fields according to user_role category?

Konstantina Sokratous November 4, 2019

Hi,

I have created a next gen project on JIRA and would like to add some rules as well as create user-role categories. 

To my understanding I can only create rules on the assignee and the issue status.

Actually, I would like to be able to enable/disable fields according to specific user_role categories (that may or may not be based on a hierarchy of user_roles).

For example, when a user has role_category 'X' I would like to restrict access to certain fields or when a user has role_category 'Y' I would like to enable access to certain fields.

Is this possible for a next-gen project, or is this functionality not included?

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2019

Hello Konstantina,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Unfortunately, field-level permissions to hide specific fields depending on the user role/group are not available for none of the JIRA Cloud templates, classic or next-gen.

The decision to don't implement this kind of permission is based on several required changes that would impact the application structure, as explained in the feature request opened for this matter:

access permissions for custom fields 

The only thing we can recommend to restrict issue fields from users would be by:

1 - Using a classic project, create the standard issues with all the information it must have

2 - Create sub-task issues with the same values of the parent, however, without the fields that the users should not be able to see. P.S: Create a single sub-task for each role you have

3 - Add an issue security level to the issues, blocking the access of the users per role.

That being said, we completely understand this is not the more efficient option for your use case. Please, feel free to provide any feedback you might have in the feature request mentioned above.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer