Email Requests Created But With No Email Attachments

Tafara Mugwangi April 13, 2021

We have configured a process where users can submit Jira email requests for suspicious emails and this works correctly to create a ticket, but the email attachment is not added to the new Jira ticket. The file format is .eml and we use the Jira Cloud version.

I checked my Outlook outbox and the email has the intended attachment. I checked our Mimecast and the email attachment is present.

Found the following resources but nothing that could help me resolve:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Email-Requests-with-Attachments/qaq-p/814728 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-15133?error=login_required&error_description=Login+required&state=eb07e710-2af0-4c54-9ac8-17e4df345433

Does anyone know any tips on how I can resolve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

Hello @Tafara Mugwangi 

Please provide more information on the process you created. Are you using built in JIRA functionality for processing emails to create issues, or a third party app, or something you built?

Tafara Mugwangi April 14, 2021

Morning @Trudy Claspill 

We are using an Outlook tool precompiled by Trend to allow our users to send an email to service.desk@huntswood.com. The email sends out as the Outlook user and creates a Jira ticket.

In the Jira service desk project we have setup email requests using this same email as per attached screenshot. Jira SD Email Setup.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

Does the outlook user have permissions in the service desk project to Create Attachments?

What file types have you tried?

What is the size of the files you've tried?

Tafara Mugwangi April 15, 2021

Hi

Yes the user has permission to create attachments. They can normally add attachments to issues directly with no problem. The problem only occurs when its via the email request business process. 

Using the email feature I am unable to select additional attachments of my choice, please see attachment. Instead I followed the steps:

1. New email
  2. email address set to service.desk@huntswood.com
  3. attached a Jira email, a jpeg file and an excel csv file
  4. submitted email

The steps created a new email request ticket SD-7469. All attachments were added to the ticket correctly. The only difference I know is that this process created a ticket within the SD: Email Request Workflow but the problematic tickets are created into the SD: Incidents workflow. 

Jira support created an email request successfully with attachments but this used the SD:Service Requests workflow. So I think the fix is somewhere in the D: Incidents workflow, just don't know what setting to tweak. SD-7469 Attachments.jpgReport suspicious email form.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

I'm not aware of any settings that need to be added to a workflow in order for attachments to be successfully attached to an issue.

Since you are seeing a difference based on the workflow that is managing the issue creation, you should probably examine the Create transition in that workflow to see if any Post Functions have been added that might be removing the attachments. You might also look at the Automations associated with the project (or globally) that could be impacting the state of the created issues.

Tafara Mugwangi April 16, 2021

Hi  Trudy

I checked and the only difference I can see is that SD: Service Requests workflow has create transition properties as attached and the SD: Incidents workflow does not have anything defined.

I have now raised JST-652464 with Jira support. Transition Properties.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

Please post back here the solution to the issue, when that is determined, so that other people can benefit from what you learn.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events