ETA of Roadmap for Jira Server

Inxmail Administrators September 26, 2018

Hi there,

can anyone give me some kind of ETA for Roadmap for Jira being avalialable for Server (allready available for Cloud - see Link below)?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/roadmap-957979308.html

Greetings

Marco

10 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2019

Hi everyone,

This Roadmaps feature is currently only available in Jira Cloud and does not yet exist in Jira server.   However there is a feature request for this over in JSWSERVER-19614

While we do not have a clear timetable for if or when this might come to Server, I would recommend that you watch and vote on this issue if this is something you would like to see.  These can be used by our development and product management teams to better prioritize new features.

Thanks,

Andy

Linda Kim June 12, 2019

Hi, in the meantime is there anything similar in Jira Server to roadmap that we could use?

Like adam_fletchers likes this
adam_fletchers January 13, 2020

I guess that's a no!

Like Shilpa Nicodemus likes this
JD January 23, 2020

@Andy Heinzer

Does the new release of Roadmaps (as of 01/23/20) only update the cloud version, or does it apply to Jira Server as well?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Hi @JD,

I think you are referring to the blog post over in https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/next-gen-roadmap-updates when talking about the new release.

This only pertains to Jira Cloud.  Jira Server does not yet have this Roadmaps feature.  Should this kind of feature be available for Jira Server I would expect there to be an update to the ticket I previously mentioned here, JSWSERVER-19614 .

In the meantime, for anyone looking for this kind of Roadmap feature in the Server versions of Jira, you might want to take a look at our Marketplace site.  A quick search shows 20 different titles for that term that are specific to Jira Server: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=server&product=jira&query=roadmap

Cheers,

Andy

Like JD likes this
Reuben January 23, 2020

Hi Andy, 

JSWSERVER-19614 isn't assigned to anyone and its status is:

NOT BEING CONSIDERED

Whilst we appreciate the potential impact and value this issue may bring to our customers, we will not be working on it in the foreseeable future. We will review this ticket in a year to see if our decision has changed.

Can Atlassian just be more transparent and say roadmaps are not a realistic feature for Jira Server? This issue has been festering since 2018. It seems obvious that roadmaps for Jira Server is not part of Atlassian's strategic vision. Or maybe your strategic vision doesn't have a roadmap either? 

I have worked at 4 Fortune 500 companies. All of the Agile technology teams love Jira. However, the common point of pain has always been the same. Jira always falls flat when product owners and business leaders need to present their... wait for it... ROADMAP!

As the wave of enterprise wide Agile Transformations grows, product teams will demand integrated roadmaps to show executive teams. If you don't fix this, thpse executive will be looking at another vendor's roadmap, not Jira's. Jira Server needs to ride that wave or be crushed by it.

Like # people like this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2020

Hi Reuben,

I appreciate your fervor on the topic.  Perhaps someday this feature could make its way in the Server product, but you are correct that this issue is not currently under consideration.

We're all for being more transparent about what we are working on.  You can get a better idea of what bugs and suggestions the Server / Data Center team is currently working on by taking a look at the JAC dashboard: Jira Server and Data Center: current work and future plans.

I'd also recommend checking out our Implementation of New Features Policy.  It explains in more detail how our product management selects which features to implement.  It's not entirely based on popularity of the request, but that certainly is a factor.

10 votes
Tobias Weis October 26, 2018

Wow am I annoyed by this. Bought the server because of the features in the cloud-trial, and now this looks totally different, AND misses the roadmap.

5 votes
David Sumlin November 6, 2019

Sadly, the official answers from Atlassian suck!

1. Their Server team will "learn" from the released Cloud features. This highlights the disconnect between the Cloud/Server product management.
  2. They tell you to vote on JWSERVER-19614 and then transition it to Not Being Considered
  3. They are "working hard" to enable large instances to adopt their cloud solution. Why not work hard to bring this feature into Server?
  4. They want you to use Jira Align (have a few extra $100K's lying around?) or Jira Portfolio (ever try getting a large enterprise aligned enough to actually benefit from Portfolio?)
  5. They don't actually believe customers need roadmaps

Information taken from comment from Jes (Atlassian) here

Hi @LarryBrock and @Elke Heinrichs@Merve Nur Bas @Arne Boye-Moller , @Gezim Shehu , Jessica here, I'm a Product Marketing Manager for Jira Software Server & Data Center. We really appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you're loving the new Jira Cloud experience. 

To address your concerns, we are working hard on two fronts:

1. Any time we release something in Cloud, our Server team is learning from that and balancing new Cloud features against other customer priorities like performance and administrative control. 

2. We are also working hard to enable customers with very large instances to adopt our cloud-based solutions. Rest assured, this effort doesn't detract from our continual investment to evolve functionality and enhance the value of our Server & Data Center solutions for customers that prefer to self-manage or can't leverage cloud solutions due to company policies.

Also information taken from comment from David Draper (Atlassian) here

Thanks again to everyone for the continued feedback. I just think it's worth setting expectations of my role within Atlassian - I'm a team leader for Portfolio for Jira Server, so my particular interest was in why people wanted the Cloud Next-Gen Project Roadmap feature over what we were offering in Portfolio - especially to see if we were still falling short with regards to major changes to the user interface that we released in version 3.0. I'm not in a position to change the decision that has been made, however I will continue to pass the feedback onto the relevant people in Atlassian.

I think the concerns raised about marketing and documentation are particularly valid as a source of confusion with regards to understanding what features are available on each platform. 

It's worth remembering that although it might appear as though the entire server user base wants roadmaps, that perception is probably derived from just the comments on this issue. There are many customers happily using Portfolio and/or Jira Align or have no need/desire for roadmaps at all. The comments in this issue are not representative of all server users, just those that want the Cloud roadmap feature available to them on Server.

adam_fletchers January 13, 2020

Lack of roadmaps in Server is probably going to be the reason we find another solution. 100s of users would have been paid for.

Like # people like this
Jason_Macer January 22, 2020

@David Sumlin I think Jes (Atlassian)'s comments pretty much sum up that they really do not want to do any further development on their self-hosted environment.

"Why do you want to host it, here we make it so easy to migrate to our cloud. See shinny stuff, shinny stuff..."

They do not take into account our industries or requirements by owners, et cetera. 

@adam_fletchers is totally right that without some of these basic features that they are rolling out in cloud, people are going to find another solution. They want us on their cloud as the "other solution" because they want to have control of all your data in a "Got you by the balls" sort of way. 

Personally, I had no problem at all with Redmine, and if I had my druthers we'd go back to it, but one person on the team just "had to have Jira." This is also the same person that doesn't want to learn new technologies and thinks that Microsoft ASP.Net is the greatest thing since bit mapping for desktop became a thing.

It would be nice if Atlassian would just stop lying to us and admit that they really don't want to even offer the server self hosted option.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Orlin November 9, 2019

It is a weird decision, and I think it would be less controversial if the put in only in the "premium" version. However, the good news is that there are a lot roadmap app on server, eg. Easy Agile, Epic Roadmap, BigPicture, etc. 

3 votes
Steven Castelein October 30, 2018

I don't understand why there is a difference between Cloud and Server editions. We really would like to position JIRA even more central in our development workflow but this feature is still missing. 

Any remarks on when this is expected to be implemented in JIRA Server?

2 votes
Howard Olson September 26, 2019

I have noticed with Bitbucket Server some of the plugins (paid and free) are no longer supported on the newest version.  It's like Atlassian and developers are pulling away from the server version.  I wasn't too impressed at the beginning of this year when I looked into Jira Cloud.  I assume it is getting better, but it seemed like the monthly cost was going to be really high for the number of users we have.  We have around 600,000 issues, 100s of projects, and about 3000 active users.  I see a trend for my organization to move to Azure DevOps for a cloud solution and Jira for the on-prem.  Will teams naturally migrate to Azure DevOps?  If Atlassian abandons the server product they will compete in a space where they won't be the hands down winner.  I prefer Jira over other tools, but not when it comes to the plethora  of  SaaS options available.

Christian Ziegelt @sp September 30, 2019

Same here.

Smaller company but growing - and we have to decide where to move.
But for sure it's not a cloud service.

If Atlassian really tries to move everyone to the cloud and new features are not available to the server solution, we will find another way.

For years we used Redmin open source and modified it to our needs.
Will be easy to move the DB entries over again.

But I really really hope the best - Atlassian keep server alive. We like Jira !

Like Anna Olenberg likes this
David Sumlin October 11, 2019

Atlassian will tell you that they still care about server, but all of their actions tell another story. App vendors also see the writing on the wall, and that's why a lot of them are cloud only.  I'm sure server will stick around for a long time because of legacy usage, but the feature disparity between the two platforms is growing and it's obvious that Atlassian is just fine with that.

Like # people like this
Rabbit October 16, 2019

I'm actually looking for any forum or discussion for information on whether there is any focus or ongoing development for the server version. There are some customizations currently possible in server that are not possible in cloud, but we don't want to migrate down to Server if it's going to fall behind and become unsupported in the long run.

Like Benn Ingersoll likes this
2 votes
Flora Hilvano March 6, 2019

There has been a discussion in Roadmaps for server version. Though I still hope that Roadmap will be available in Jira Server.

1 vote
Ahmed Bayyari May 30, 2019

I ended up signing up for a free trial with https://www.productplan.com/help/features/jira/ to have a roadmap feature. We have over 100 projects and over 300 users on an on-premise server, all using the classic version. So getting plugins like BigPicture or Portfolio would cost us thousands even if it's just for one person/project due to the absurd JIRA server licensing policies. With ProductPlan we are able to license it for whatever number of users needing it. All other users that don't have a license can still view the roadmaps, they just can't edit them. So far it was easy to integrate and set up.

Very disappointed with the decisions JIRA made for the Roadmap feature.

Linda Kim June 12, 2019

Is your team using Big Picture? We're using right now on a trial basis. We like it but it's very expensive. What are you guys doing in the mean time without the Roadmap feature in Jira?

Like Reuben likes this
0 votes
Jason_Macer March 5, 2020

I don't know about anyone else, but my 8.5.1 server is no longer able to connect to the Atlassian Marketplace.

When I attempt to follow the links in Jira to check for a software update via

Applications  => Verisons & Licenses => Jira Software => "Check for version updates" I get taken to https://go.atlassian.com/versions-licenses-application-download-jira-software which returns "The site cannot be reached" and "unexpectedly closed the connection."

I guess this goes to show where the Server product fits in their grand scheme of things.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2020

Hi @Jason_Macer 

Sorry to hear about this problem.  Our Marketplace site is currently listed as having an outage incident that appears to have started yesterday, when you posted this.  More details in https://developer.status.atlassian.com/incidents/3x7vrj8p2j5x

This is most likely the cause of this error within your Jira Server application.  That statuspage has indicated that the services have been restored at this point, however the root cause is still under investigation.

Cheers,

Andy

Jason_Macer March 9, 2020

@Andy Heinzer yes, it is working now. Though you do see our frustration in so far as it seems like you (sic Atlassian) do not really care about the server product anymore.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2018

During one of the presentations at Summit where roadmap was announced for cloud someone asked that question. As I recall there was no commitment for if/when this would be on server. I expect it will need to prove to be a success on cloud first. You might consider opening a request for the support in server.

Suggest an answer