Does application linking another Jira instance populate issues in advanced roadmaps?

Ben Vandenbosch December 20, 2022

Hi,

We inherited a few Jira Cloud instances (separate instances, not projects) that won't be migrated onto the same instance for quite some time. 

I'm looking for a way to see roadmap items across all instances in the same view, preferably without an additional paid app. I've looked into setting up Application Linking but can't seem to find an answer to this question:

Will Application Linking another Jira Cloud instance allow me to populate its items in an Advanced Roadmap in my home instance?

If not, any other solves you'd recommend?

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2022

Hi @Ben Vandenbosch 

I'm afraid not - it allows issue linking between instances, but isn't visualising the data for use in Plans, reports, etc.

You'll need all the data on one instance to use it with Advanced Roadmaps.

Your options here are to either...

1. Migrate the users/data - depending on how painful it is to report across multiple systems now
  2. Use a reporting tool which can utilise data from multiple instances - such as Atlassian Analytics, or a BI tool
  3. Sync the issues between instances, so you can flow all Issue data into one "main instance" and then use Advanced Roadmaps

You can (sort of) do "(3)" for free, using Automation, and webhooks to each instance - but it's quite a bit of work considering all the different issue parameters.

The other option for "(3)" is to use an issue sync App, such as Exalate, or Backbone Issue Sync - or another option on the Marketplace.

Let us know what you think!

Ste

Ben Vandenbosch December 29, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Thank you so much for the detailed writeup. This is super helpful. I suspect we'll build advanced roadmaps in each instance for now and once those are adopted and proved out we'll look into an addon for #3. Thanks again for the help.

Suggest an answer