Display Parent on story/bug/task cards in Scrum Board's backlog view and active sprints view

Cornelius Dufft January 4, 2023

Until recently, we had epics to be parent of stories.

2023-01-04_18h54_02.png

This was handy because epics were shown on the stories cards in the Scrum Board's Backlog view and Active sprints view, like in below screenshot:

2023-01-04_18h46_16.png

Now we changed our issue type hierarchy to have features to be parent of stories. (We use epics for more high level, "epic" stuff.)

2023-01-04_18h57_17.png

I wanted to get the "Parent" field shown on the card layout in the Backlog view and in the Active sprints view. However, this seems to only work for sub-tasks' parents, see below screenshot:

2023-01-04_18h52_30.png

Which boards do you use and how for sprint planning and scrum daily meetings, when you use other than epic as parents to stories and tasks?

How can I display the parent feature (which is linked as "is Parent of") on the story cards in Backlog and Active sprints view?

3 answers

0 votes
Cornelius Dufft January 12, 2023

Hi, @Trudy Claspill , @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ , I will give the "change issue hierarchy" solution a try. Thank you very much.

Cornelius Dufft January 13, 2023

We get an error message, see screenshot.
"Moving or changing hierarchy levels of issue types will break existing parent links in all company-managed projects in your side. The change can't be reversed."
So what will happen if I move Feature on the same level like Epic in my altassian cloud instance?

error-message.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2023

What change did you attempt to implement, exactly?

What did the hierarchy look like before you tried to make the change?

Santosh Subramani February 22, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

This is the current hierarchy looks like , 

2023-02-22_14h08_02.png

we would like to have new hierarchy as below

error-message.png

we would like to preserve existing link relation between Epic & Feature.

Will implementing new Hierarchy will break the above relation ? 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2023

If you are moving Feature from the Story level to the Epic level, and in your Advanced Roadmaps you have Features as a child of Epics, then I believe the parent/child links between Epics and Features will be broken. I don't believe you can have a parent/child relationship between two issue types that are at the same level.

If your Features are not child issues of Epics within Advanced Roadmaps but are linked in another way to the Epics, then I don't think the issue hierarchy change will have any impact on those other Epic/Feature links.

Caveat: I don't actually work with Advanced Roadmaps, where this issue hierarchy is used, so I am basing my answer only on what I've read.

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

Hi @Cornelius Dufft 

Posting this here also, based on the link provided in the other question.

This is a Linked Issue, not a Parent/Child relationship.

Even though the link is called "is child of", it's still a linked issue (i.e a sibling relationship) - the "Feature" itself would need to be actually set as an actual parent of the Story in the Issue Hierarchy.

There's two options in Cloud:

• Use Epic - so you can continue to use other Epic-related functionality - and rename it to Feature in future. The renaming functionality was announced on this article, but not expected until Q4 2023 according to this comment
  • Add Feature to the Issue Hierarchy at the same level as Epic, and use the "Parent Link" field to show them as the parent of Stories

To change the Issue Hierarchy, you'll need to be a Jira Admin and then:

1. Go to Settings > Issues
  2. Select Issue Type Hierarchy from the left-hand menu
  3. On the Epic Level, locate/add "Feature"

You can also add additional custom levels via this screen, if you have Jira Premium or Jira Enterprise

Ste

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

Hello @Cornelius Dufft 

Try the "Parent Link" field instead.

Cornelius Dufft January 4, 2023

Hi, @Trudy Claspill , sorry, does not work, it shows "none" just like for Parent.

I made the story DBSAND-88 "is Child of" feature DBSAND-121, and selected Parent and Parent Link to show on the cards, see three screenshots below.

2023-01-04_19h25_05.png2023-01-04_19h24_21.png2023-01-04_19h23_09.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

Hello @Cornelius Dufft 

Oh, I see. You are using generic issue linking functionality.

I thought, because your post is tagged as Premium plan, that you were using the Advanced Roadmaps/Plan feature to organize your issues into a hierarchy of parent/child relationships. My suggestion applies only if you are using that functionality.

If you are using generic issue linking, the only way to show the information is by adding the Linked Issues field to the card layout. However, that will show all issues in the Linked Issue section. You can't configure it to show issues of only a particular link type.

If you can't use the Advanced Roadmaps feature to organize the parent/child relationships, and using the Linked Issues field doesn't suit your needs, then you would need to add a custom field in which you could note the parent issue key for each issue. You would then need to use Automation Rules to keep that field set correctly. Frankly, I think it would be easier to use the Advanced Roadmaps functionality.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events