Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we display the parent link (of features) in the backlog view of linked issues?

voger05 January 24, 2020

We are using Portfolio for Jira and we like to make use of the hierarchical structure it offers. So we have Epics linked to Features and Features linked to Issues. In the backlog view of the issues we would like to see the parent link displayed, i.e. to which feature the issue is linked, so people maintaining the backlog can grasp at a glance which issues belong to the same feature. Is there a template underlying this view? Can it be adapted?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2020

Hi @voger05

Do you mean a Backlog on a Board or the Backlog within Portfolio?

If on a Board (like a Kanban Backlog) - you can:

1. Go to your Board Settings / Board Configuration (Cloud or Server)
  2. Select Card Layout on the left-hand side
  3. Choose to add a field to the Backlog view - select Parent Link. Do the same on the active board if needed
  4. Press "Back to Board" in top-left

If you mean on the Backlog within Portfolio, can you let me know host type you have (Cloud or Server) and what this refers to? 

For example if you mean the full scope view, the Features should be grouped under the Issue. If not (eg. "Features without Issues" is shown) this might be an issue with your issue sources. 

Ste

voger05 January 27, 2020

Thanks very much!

tmcatee February 21, 2022

thanks. I was able to add a field in the backlog. 

Cornelius Dufft January 4, 2023

Hi, @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

thanks for the hint. For me, neither Parent nor Parent Link works.

Test: Feature DBSAND-121 "is Parent of" Story DBSAND-88.

Card layout has Parent and Parent Link displayed.

For Feature DBSAND-121 as well as for Story DBSAND-88, both field show "none".

2023-01-04_19h23_09.png

2023-01-04_19h24_21.png

2023-01-04_19h25_05.png

See also https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Display-Parent-on-story-bug-task-cards-in-Scrum-Board-s-backlog/qaq-p/2230530 for my question in the community.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2023

Hi @Cornelius Dufft 

This is a Linked Issue, not a Parent/Child relationship.

Even though the link is called "is child of", it's still a linked issue (i.e a sibling relationship) - the "Feature" itself would need to be actually set as an actual parent of the Story in the Issue Hierarchy.

Based on your other question (which shows Cloud is your platform), there's two options:

• Use Epic - so you can continue to use other Epic-related functionality - and rename it to Feature in future. The renaming functionality was announced on this article, but not expected until Q4 2023 according to this comment
  • Add Feature to the Issue Hierarchy at the same level as Epic, and use the "Parent Link" field to show them as the parent of Stories

To change the Issue Hierarchy, you'll need to be a Jira Admin and then:

1. Go to Settings > Issues
  2. Select Issue Type Hierarchy from the left-hand menu
  3. On the Epic Level, locate/add "Feature"

You can also add additional custom levels via this screen, if you have Jira Premium or Jira Enterprise

Ste

Like Cornelius Dufft likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events