Differences between "Import via CSV" and "External System Import"

M Vijay Kumar February 21, 2020

Hi all, 

we are seeing a lot of differences between two methods; Is there any documentation link on the same. 

Thanks,

Vijay 

4 answers

1 vote
Bhanu KN August 30, 2020

'Import issues from CSV' is an option made available so non-administrative users are also able to import issues to Jira. However, there are certain restrictions that one will not encounter while using the wizard. Some of the things you CANNOT do while using 'import issues from CSV' include; being able to create new users, importing projects(you can only import to an existing project), creating custom fields/resolution values. 

Hope this helps:)

Bhanu 

Reddeppa October 28, 2021

Hi,

Will there be any issues, if users (non Jira admins) use "import issues from CSV" option?

Will users creates damage to Jira system in any way ?

Thanks.

0 votes
tracy lam March 22, 2023

Just to confirm, in order to update existing issues, I'll need JIRA Settings > System > External System Import to start the import.  If I used Issues> Import Issues from CSV, it will not update existing issue.  

Bradlie Bennett August 21, 2023

This is my exact question.  I used Issues > Import Issues from CSV, and it did NOT append existing issues, even though I had the Issue Key mapped to the Issue ID, and they matched.  In stead, it created new issues, which I did not want.  So, I have the same question as Tracy Iam.  If I use Settings > System > External System Import to import a CSV, will it Append existing issues, or does it create new ones, like the Issues > Import Issues from CSV method?  Thanks,

0 votes
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2020

Hi @M Vijay Kumar,

I couldn't find any related documentation, but the External System Import is only available to Jira admins. That's why more options are available from this menu.

- Manon

Reddeppa October 28, 2021

Hi,

Will there be any issues, if users (non Jira admins) use "import issues from CSV" option?

Will users creates damage to Jira system in any way ?

Thanks.

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2020

I'm not sure if there's documentation on the differences, but from my experience I would recommend to only use the External System Import.  The other option has caused me problems in the past, and I also think it doesn't let you map certain fields.

The External System Import is the mentioned in the Atlassian instructions too:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/importing-data-from-csv-938847533.html

Reddeppa October 29, 2021

Hi,

Would you  mind to  let me know what problems you ran in to issues when you were using "import issues from CSV" option?

The reason I'm asking, our users are using "import issues from CSV" option ,and, so I want to ensure they will not create any damage to Jira system in any way. 

Thank you.

Suggest an answer