Difference between board and Dashboard?

mkm redmi April 1, 2019

Hi, I am new to JIRA and exploring different features.. Noticed `Board` and `Dashboard` options and i see similar configuration across board and dashboard (i may be wrong also). Can you please tell when to use board & dashboard with some example?

Thanks 

2 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

A board is a view of a selection of issues, that you can use to see and update them.  It displays them in columns, with each column representing a step in your process for them.

A dashboard is a place to collect together a set of reports that people might find useful.

They don't have a lot in common, other than they both look at issues, and can be shared between users.

mkm redmi April 1, 2019

Thank you so much for the quick response @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- .  I think Dashboard list multiple projects data (1 to many) where as Board can work on specific project (1 to 1), Is that right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

A dashboard is mostly built from saved filters, which can select issues from many projects.  People often use dashboards to get broad views of what is happening across some or all of the projects in Jira.  There are some reports available on dashboards that don't even look at issues, it's a broad place for people to build what they need.

Some boards (On Cloud Business/Core projects) are built automatically by the project, and they do have a simple 1:1 board:project relationship.

But Software boards are also built on saved filters.  It is common to see filters that are simply "Project = X" and that's any easy default, but you can write whatever filters you want to drive boards.  A lot of people need boards that draw from several projects, and that's how they do it.

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2019

A board can be setup to show issues from multiple projects (the issues shown are based on the underlying filter). Then you can add Quick Filters to hide certain projects independently if you like. 

A dashboard is going to show more aggregate data typically, but can be lists of records, also. It can also show data in the form of charts, graphs, totals, etc. that the board cannot. 

Suggest an answer