Difference between admin types?

Malin Rathjen December 30, 2021

Hi there! I read through that article ( https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/give-users-admin-permissions/ ), but I am still wondering about the differences between product admin and site admin as well as the differences between product admins like jira-admin and aministrators.

Firstly, Is it correct that you can't access the Administration page as a product admin? So product admins can only access product settings like creating Jira projects, boards, workflows etc. And a site admin is able to access the product settings as well as the Administration page?

Secondly, is it correct that the difference between the (group controlled) product- admins like jira-admin and administrators is that the jira-admin don't count as user on the billing? Or are there any other differences between them? 

Thanks in advance for your answers and feedback!

Best wishes!

1 answer

1 vote
Mathieu Truchot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2021

hi,

1. as a product admin, you can access the admin pages exept the one related with billing and user managements.

2. jira-admin or confluence admin are product base admin group

"administrators" group gives product admin to all the products on your cloud site (the same as if you are member of both Jira-admin and confluence-admin for example)

3. Admin do count as a user on the billing, but the same user will not be counted twice if he is both user and admin (product and / or site admin)

Please see the related post : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/What-is-different-between-org-admin-site-admin-and-product-admin/qaq-p/1707926

I hope it helps,

MT

Krista Stellar November 16, 2022

I'm curious whether your definition for the 'administrators' group is still valid with the new user management view.

There is still a group called 'administrators', but I can't see how membership in this group does anything.

If a user is a member of this group and not a member of a product admin group they cannot administer any of the products in the org. Nor can they view the users/groups via the admin.atlassian.com page.

I have no idea what the group is for with the new user management approach.

Suggest an answer