Did Atlassian change the name of custom fields for epics during some versions

Florian Engertsberger April 24, 2019

Hi,

I have a (very old) JIRA productive system which is on 7.5.2.
Then I have a new created JIRA test system which is on 7.10.2.

When I take a look to the custom fields of both systems epic custom field on the 7.5.2 are named "Epic Name", "Epic Status" etc. and they are locked.
On the 7.10.2. these fields are named "Epic-Name", "Epic-Status", etc. (so with a "-" in the middle) and they are also locked.

That causes some troubles when trying to use addons like the Botronsoft Configuration Manager.

Does anybody know if atlassian changed the names of the epic custom fields or why the names differ between that different JIRA versions?

Thanks for replies,
Flo

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

So @Christos Moysiadis ´s hint regarding the German language was the breakthrough. Installing JIRA with system language German will cause that the epic custom fields are hyphened ("Epic-Name"). That´s what happened to my testsystem and is has nothing to do with different JIRA versions (like @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- already suspected).

I installed JIRA on a VM last night several times with different versions and different system languages and everytime I uses German as system language I got hyphened epic custom fields.

So thanks a lot for your help guys.

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

Always happy to help @Florian Engertsberger

Regards 

CM

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

Nice!  That was the next thing I was going to try when I had time to do so.

Whilst I understand that the hyphenation by default is good for German speakers sometimes, it's extremely bad that it breaks things this way, and very annoying that it works differently when swapping to your own language when it's not the default.  That's a howling bug, in my opinion!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

No, they did not change the names of any fields.

I suspect one of your admins has looked up "how do I unlock locked fields in Jira", used it and renamed them.  There's a reason they are locked - to prevent poorly understood changes like this one having such an impact.

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- i had the same issue during an integration. I noticed the same changes. The Jira Software version was 7.3.2 and the other 7.13. Strange is that in both Jira's, administatrator is/was the same! So i dont i think he changed the one and left the other in order. 

Are you 100% sure that Atlassian didn't changed anything ??? I doubt a lil bit , always with no offence here :) . 

Regards

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-I also talked to our administrator and no manual changes to theses fields have been made.

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2019

Hello together again...

I don't know if it plays any role that my old Jira software (7.3) was in German Language!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2019

No worries, it's always worth checking.  I've had a look at several Jira Software instances today already, ranging from 6.2 to 8.0, including a "fresh" 7.13 installation that has no config yet.  None of them have a hyphenated Epic-<field>

@Christos Moysiadis  don´t know if this is coincidence, but our two systems are in German language as well...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2019

Interesting - I work primarily with Jira in English (to my shame, it's the only language I have any useful level of ability in).

I've swapped a couple of them to use German in my profile and the name of the fields remain without hyphens, so if it is related to this, then maybe it's only when German is the default.

If it's not the default, then I don't know where it is coming from, without an admin renaming them.

Like Christos Moysiadis likes this
Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- i think it's not about swapping! 

If this is happening for real then it has to do from the installation part.

At the end... @Florian Engertsberger should create a test env with the same version as the old , rename them and then upgrade to the new one. 

I did it like this and it worked without any issues at all! Its time taking because of restarts and etc.

BUT!!!! PLEASE make tests first :D

Regards

Suggest an answer