Detect which backlog an issue was created in an assign a label automatically

Levon Saldamli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 12, 2020

I would like to create an automation rule to assign a label used to sort issues into different backlogs, based on in which backlog a "Create issue"-button was clicked to create the issue.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2020

Backlogs are part of boards, which are views of a selection of issues, not a container.

You can't know what backlog an issue was created in because the answer can easily be "loads of them"

Imagine three simple boards:

• A:  Project = AAA
  • B:  Project = BBB
  • C:  Project in (AAA, BBB)

Go into board B and create an issue, say BBB-123.  It will appear in the backlogs for board B and C.   Similarly for A.  And for an issue created in Backlog C, it will also be in two backlogs.

I think you need to look at what problem you are trying to solve here.  Why would this label be of any use?  What report would use it?

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2020

Hi @Levon Saldamli 

Would you please describe what problem you are trying to solve?  I am unclear what "sort issues into different backlogs" would mean.

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2020

Hi Levon,

Technically, issues are not created in Backlogs - they are just created against Projects. So if you have different backlogs for different projects, you should be able to use the project field to add the label.

Otherwise you will need another field that gets populated when going through the different routes to create the issue. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events