Deleted project still shows active sprint

So I was playing around with a test project, and added a sprint in JIRA Agile.  When I was done, I deleted the project, but the sprint is still showing up everywhere.  How do I get rid of the sprint?  The sprint was active when I deleted the project, so perhaps that's part of the problem.

4 answers

Thanks Jobin.  How do I assign the unassigned sprint to a new board?  I thought boards were related by projects, yet the project is not available anymore?

Not necessarily. Boards can be created from a filter too. What happens if you create a board from another project? You are not seeing the sprint in that case?

So I finally figured out a way to do this. The only place I was seeing the sprint was in the add or edit issue screen/popup. When I would click the "sprint" box, it would show the old sprint from the old project/rapid board I created. I went ahead and took an existing rapid board with an existing ticket, and assigned it to this sprint. This made the sprint active for that rapid board. From there, I was able to close the sprint, which is good enough for me because I just don't want that sprint showing up in my dropdowns anymore.

Sounds like a good workaround ;)

Thank you Dustin DeVries, your solution also worked for me too.

1 votes

Sprints are not directly linked to the project, that's why.

Go to a board where the sprint appears, make sure you have admin rights in all the projects in that board and then delete the Sprint as mentioned here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Deleting+a+Sprint

I just had a similar issue: I had my current sprint as active (say, Sprint 5), plus an old one (also showing as active, say, Sprint 1).

I couldn't close Sprint 1, because it did not show on the Scrum Board.

It turned out that there were no issues in Sprint 1 at all, that's why it was invisible.

To resolve,

• I created a new issue within Sprint 1, it made Sprint 1 visible.
  • I closed the issue.
  • I used the Scrum Board to close Sprint 1.

What if I don't have a board that contains that sprint?  The project and the board were both deleted.

You can delete the sprint only from a board. If it is not appearing in any of the boards, create a test board and delete it after removing the sprint.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

242 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot