Define sprint goal

Chris Horn February 21, 2013

I would like to have a free text field where I can write the sprint goal when creating new sprint. The sprint goal should be visible to all when looking at plan/work/report view and come out in the sprint reports.

8 answers

3 votes
Pawel Olchowik February 2, 2016

Hi there, as far as I know - it's still not supported, so I recommend:

• adding new task type to your project (name it "Vision") or taking some unused task type (for us it was "bug", since we used something different for those and "bug" was never used)
  • add it to backlog, write your vision in it, move it to the top of current sprint
  • don't add people to it, don't add it to epics/versions, don't evaluate it in SP or whatever you are using

Voila. Many problems with such solutions, but if you have better - share it!

Cheers.

Edward Wagner February 8, 2017

I like this idea.  I like that in addition you could add events that impacted the sprint with details decisions, duration of events and how they impacts the sprint.

Its simple and keeps all the info with the sprint in jira.

Thanks for the idea.

Like Dorin Hemei likes this
2 votes
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2013

It's not a feature as of now, but it's been requested already: GHS-7308. Feel free to vote and comment on the ticket.

1 vote
Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2016

The sprint goal feature is now available in JIRA Software Cloud. Please see the documentation at

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRASOFTWARECLOUD/Planning+sprints

The following issue tracks this feature

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-7308

Kind regards,
Martin
JIRA Software

0 votes
Dorin Hemei May 4, 2020

Great ideas!

0 votes
Eva Kasiak May 3, 2017

Hi Hanan

how are you? Many thanks for your message. The add on is searchable from Find new add on's in JIRA Server hosting - see attachment. 

It can be found by searching these keywords: Agile Sprint, Sprint Goal, Agile 

You can eventually download it directly from the Marketplace 

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Eva

agile sprint goal.png

0 votes
Eva Kasiak February 13, 2017

HI All

I'm Scrum Master and Product Manager working within scrum for last 7 years also with Atlassian products. After years of experience I've created scrum type of workflows and recently came up with sprint goal add on for JIRA server.  If this is something of use for you it would be great if you could test it out - I apprieciate all feedback.  I've seen this as a added value for server hosting in my client's JIRA's and thought this would be good assets for those who are missing this feature https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/eu.thesilverlining.jira.server.agilesprintgoals.jira-server-sprint-goals-plugin/server/overview

Eva

Hanan Khamis May 3, 2017

Hi Eva,

Thank you for this. IT would help if installation works. Somehow the installation of this is not working and I cant find it as Add-on through "Find new Add-on" in JIRA.

Could you please help?

Thanks,

Hanan

0 votes
Mihael Mirt July 16, 2013

Our teams need that feature too.

IMO setting a sprint goal is very important part of Scrum, so you should add a text field under or next to the sprint name in Greenhopper and show it wherever possible, especially on work and review tabs.

Hope you can to that soon ;)

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013
Chris Horn February 21, 2013

Hi there,

Thanks for quick response. I know about free text custom fields. But two problems with that:

1. The field is assigned to an issue not the sprint. So each issue within the sprint would have the custom field assigned, right?

2. The customer field is not visible along with sprint name in Greenhopper plan/work views. My team is using greenhopper plan/work views a lot.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2013

hi.

1. right

2. you could add the field to "issue view detail"

for an example please see my attachment here

haven't tested this for scrum boards but i expect it to be the same

according to this i may define scrum and agile a little bit diffent cause i thought goals are set in an epic where sprints are included containing single stories that have been broken down. so in this definition the print goal would be oviously to finish all included stories in a predefined time window.

at least each story could/should contain some kind of acceptance creteria to bring out in detail what really should be achieved.

Chris Horn March 3, 2013

I guess the conclusion is that this isn't supported right now, will look forward to this feature in upcoming release of Greenhopper.

Suggest an answer