Deep Clone multiple copies of one epic

Amanda Lee March 11, 2021

Hi All, I'm very new to Jira so thanks for your patience here.

I have downloaded the Deep Clone add on which is wonderful as we have numerous jobs with the same requirements so it's great to not have to retype all subtasks and bugs for every job. 

However, rather than cloning one project at a time, I was hoping to find a way to clone numerous copies (say 20 or 50) of the one epic (with it's subtasks) in one shot.

Is this possible? Are there better ways to be setting up large numbers of identical jobs?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2021

Hi Amanda - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you should be able to do that. When you are in an Epic and select Deep Clone, you will get a pop-up like this:

screenshot.png

So as you see, you can clone the Epic and all of the children. 

Amanda Lee March 14, 2021

Hi John, thanks for that. I have figured that part out, however my query was relating to whether it is possible to make numerous copies of that deep clone at once. For example:

Epic Example

* Subtask example 1

*Subtask example 2

Following the deep clone (epic clone) process to end up with:

CLONE1 Epic Example

*CLONE1 Subtask example 1

*CLONE1 Subtask example 2

CLONE2 Epic Example

*CLONE2 Subtask example 1

*CLONE2 Subtask example 2

CLONE3 Epic Example

*CLONE3 Subtask example 1

*CLONE3 Subtask example 2

Does that make a bit more sense?

Thanks!

Amanda Lee March 14, 2021

I found this information relating to cloning an issue multiple times:

https://documentation.codefortynine.com/deep-clone-for-jira/Clone-issue-multiple-times.27656193.html

That is what I am hoping to achieve, but it appears you can only do this with a Single Clone, not an Epic Clone?

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 15, 2021

Update: We released an update that enables you to clone Epics and larger issue trees multiple times. This feature is also available for Single and Bulk Clones.

___

Hi @Amanda Lee,

I am the product manager of Deep Clone for Jira.

It's great to hear that you describe our app as "wonderful" :) 

Currently it is only possible to clone single issues multiple times, as you described above. 

Feel free to send us a feature request about cloning Epics multiple times.  

Like John Funk likes this
robyn_graham January 25, 2024

@Marlene Kegel -codefortynine- - Deep Clone functionality quit working today for several users.   They've tried multiple browsers, all with the same issue.    However, it works fine for some, but not others.   Issue just started today.    Any guidance?

Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 25, 2024

Hi @robyn_graham

I'm sorry you are having trouble with Deep Clone.

Could you please submit a support request here so we can take a closer look at the problem?

robyn_graham January 26, 2024

Thank you!  I've logged a ticket.  ATLAS-5912.   

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events