Dashboard - Velocity Chart

Dean Kadar August 16, 2022

Hi community,

The basic velocity chart shows me 3 major things:

Commitment (initial and final) + Completed work.

How can I reflect on the time spent on a task that's not completed yet? 

I mean, if an issue was estimated by 10h and currently 7h was already spent working on it - the velocity chart will show me 10h in the commitment and 0h in the completed work.

This situation doesn't reflect the real situation and looks like no effort was invested in favor of this task until it will fully be completed.

Thanks,

Dean

4 answers

1 vote
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 16, 2022

Hello @Dean Kadar ,

If you go to "Scrum Board Settings >> Estimation >> Time Tracking" and select "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent ", then your Burndown Chart will be able to show progress for non-finished stories (provided that you enter Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate values on your stories).

Velocity Chart on the other hand is all about comparing sprints. There is no such thing as a half-finished story for this chart.

1 vote
Lucy Warner_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2022

Hello @Dean Kadar 

As it's already mentioned, if you need to track time spent on task (even if the task is not completed yet), you don't need to track velocity. It will be better to track the time in each status separately or get the Issue Age of the issue. So you can monitor the progress of each task.

2022-05-10_16-52-44.png

As an alternative, you can try the add-on from the Atlassian Marketplace. For example, Time in Status for Jira Cloud developed by my SaaSJet team. It track time in status and provides with the Cycle and Lead time (exactly what you are looking for). Here's a helpful usecase on how you can get Cycle and Lead time easily.

I hope you find it helpful

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

I think a Roadmaps view could also be configured to show columns for "Original Estimate" and "Time Remaining", which seems like it gets pretty close to the OP request.

What I like about using Roadmaps for this is the ability to real-time drill down (or aggregate up) at the Story or Epic (or above) levels.

Some assumptions are that you're using the standard Time Reporting fields in Jira (when logging time) and that Roadmaps are configured appropriately.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/roadmaps/advanced-roadmaps

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

That's a good idea, Roadmaps don't have to plan by Velocity (they shouldn't, it's not what Velocity is for!), so they'll enable the sort of planning you're looking at!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

>How can I reflect on the time spent on a task that's not completed yet? 

You can not.  That is not what velocity is for, it intentionally takes no account of partial work.

If you want to see something that measures partial completion, then you need to stop looking at the Velocity.

Dean Kadar August 16, 2022

What about a solution or suggestion for my need? 

It would be much nicer than tell me what not to do :)

As I explained, my need is exactly what Velocity charts provide me right now - I just want to be able to see a mid-state between not completed & completed to reflect the time my team is working on issues without complete them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

I wanted to make the point early that a Velocity chart simply will not do that - partial completion is not Velocify.

I went to have a quick refresher of what Jira off-the-shelf does that might help you with this and my memory is right, there's not much you can do on the dashboard.  But the project reports (especially the "time tracking report") report on time spent vs estimate, which I think would be the sort of thing you need.

I'd also take a look at the reporting apps - @Lucy Warner_SaaSJet  already mentioned one you might find useful, and I'd add Old Street Solutions Jira reports to the evaluation list.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events