Dashboard Gadget For Single Number Average Resolution Time

Ben Glasthal April 11, 2023

Hey,

So I'm working on a new dashboard for my team, and my leadership has asked me to get a Resolution Time display, but they're just wanting it to show a single number for that for the set time. So, not the "Resolution Time" gadget, as they weren't a fan of that chart.

I've tried to find a way to do that, but nothing seems to be quite right. I think I could do it with Rich Filters, but we don't have that licensed and don't have current budget for it.

Am I missing something really simple here? Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2023

Hi @Ben Glasthal 

First thing, there is nothing out-of-the-box which can do that.

Next, I respectfully suggest having a chat with leadership about how they want to use that information...what problem are they trying to solve.  I wonder how a single number for resolution time (with no other information) would help a team.

Okay, what can you do for free...

• You could get this easily outside of Jira by exporting and using a spreadsheet, but that would not be on a dashboard
  • There is a free gadget from Atlassian called JavaScripts Charts for Jira Cloud.  If you add a custom field to Jira and an automation rule to calculate resolution (or lead time), that could be plotted as a simple line chart, at the granularity you want.  Such as weekly average.

Kind regards,
Bill

Ben Glasthal April 17, 2023

So the main thing Leadership wants is a want to show how long until closure on average. And they want it as simple and positive appearing as possible for their leadership (direct from my direct manager) They worry the "Resolution Time" gadget as it displays looks too up and down and could give their leadership the wrong perspective as they aren't aware of the work coming in as directly.

I'll take a look into that JavaScripts Charts gadget, thanks.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Ben Glasthal April 19, 2023

@Bill Sheboy Didn't quite do what we hoped unfortunately, but as yours was the only free answer its kind of the only that was tangible. So thanks for trying, but we also don't see it as critical enough to warrant adding in the cost of a not free Gadget either.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2023

Yup, and completely understand.  I wish there was better/more configurable reporting built into Jira.

The other free option I mentioned (an automation rule) could do this, such as run on a scheduled to send a single number.  If you want to try that let me know and I can suggest a simple starting-point rule to try.

@Bill Sheboy Oh, I didn't think you might know of a place to start so I didn't ask. But I'd be open to it if you do

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2023

Sure; glad to try to help...

Let's say you want to know the average lead time (i.e., created to resolved dates) for items completed in the last 30 days.

First you would create and test some JQL that returns the issues, such as this:

project = myProjectName AND resolved >= -30d

And, let's assume you want that average time once per week, sent to you as an email or message.

• trigger: scheduled to run once every 7 days
  • action: lookup issues with your JQL to return the issues
  • action: create a variable to store the total time for the issues
    • variable name: varTotalTime
    • smart value: {{#=}}0{{#lookupIssues}}+{{created.diff(resolved).days}}{{/}}{{/}}
  • action: send your email or message, with some math inside...

Average Lead Time = {{varTotalTime.asNumber.divide(lookupIssues.size|1)}} days

How this works...

1. The trigger runs when you want, and then we gather the issues with the Lookup Issues Action
  2. We create a variable which sums the difference between the create and resolved date in units of whole days.  You can use diff() with other units if you want hours, businessDays, etc., as described here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-date-and-time/
  3. Finally we take the total time and divide by the number of issues found.  There is some extra handling in the edge case of no issues completed, which will return an average of 0.

To get you started on creating your rule, please review this documentation and examples:

Ben Glasthal April 28, 2023

@Bill Sheboy Thank you so much for all of that. I was out for a bit unexpectedly and missed this until now. But this will be a huge help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
2 votes
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 11, 2023

Hello @Ben Glasthal 

As an alternative, you can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud developed by my SaaSJet team. All add-on reports are available in this gadget and you can control time in status data in the Issue List or Chart View

Our add-on is free up to 10 users.

Gadget 1.pngGadget chart view.png

Share reports with your colleagues or third-party analytical systems or export them to CSV or XLSX files.

Add-on has a 30-day free trial version.
Please, let me know if you have any questions

Hope it helps,
Valeriia

Thanks for trying, but we also don't see it as critical enough to warrant adding in the cost of a not free Gadget either.

0 votes
Madhu_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2023

Hi @Ben Glasthal  

If you are open for a mktplace app, you can try out our plugin,

Time in Status Reports 

The add-on provides the time in each status for the entire lifecycle of the issue, based on the date range, assignees and multiple other filters.

You can also group your statuses to define your own resolution time.

The app is free upto 10 users

Disclaimer : I work for RVS, the vendor for this app

TIS - Cycle Time report.PNG

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 12, 2023

Hello @Ben Glasthal ,

If you are OK with using a marketplace app for this, our team at OBSS built Time in Status for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center.  

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or each assignee

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png    tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png

The app has Consolidated Columns feature. This feature allows you to combine the duration for multiple statuses into a single column and exclude unwanted ones. It is the most flexible way to get any measurement you might want. Measurements like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc. 

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per Vertical or average resolution time per sprint, week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) or sprints is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend. 

Using the Consolidated Columns and Average features, you can show the resolution time as a single value for each issue or a single value for averages of all issues. All kinds of flexibility is provided here.

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects for Jira Cloud.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
April 11, 2023

Hi @Ben Glasthal

For resolution/lead time reports, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team. For more detail, you can have a look at the article below.

Cycle Time and Lead Time in Jira: Productivity Measurement with Two Critical Parameters

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app.

Here is the how-to video of getting a lead time report for each issue in your project. You can get various other lead time reports also.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events