Customize an issue's fields in next-gen projects.

Matan Levin March 17, 2019

Hi,

How I can add a custom issue field in the main issue screen? For example above the out of the box "Add a description" field.

Untitled document.png

4 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2019

Hi guys,

Today we have released the paragraph field to 100%. You will find it in Project Settings when viewing an Issue Type. Note that the paragraph field type can only be dragged into the Content bucket, which means it will appear in the main body of the Issue View (not on the right-hand side), so please note this is intentional.

Thanks everyone for your patience and for commenting here.

Regards,

Nate

Dennis Bellavance November 7, 2019

Thanks Nate,

Are these fields also available in Jira Service Desk, or just Jira projects?

Best,

Dennis

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2019

This is not possible. NG projects are quite limited in the ability to customize by design.

Thanks,

Any idea if it plan to be in NG roadmap?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2019

No idea. However I really wouldn’t expect them to ever add this. The reason is, they plan to keep the next GEN a very simple and easy to use interface. By adding lots of configuration it gets complicated just like many argue that Classic has become.

Well, they allow to customize all other fields in issue's screen so I definitely would expect for this..

Anyway, my goal is to add an "Acceptance Criteria" textbox field below the Description. Any suggestions will be helpful :-)

Ben Golder May 19, 2020

I gotta disagree - I think the value in NG is that it's so easy to build it out.

Classic just had a very antiquated UI which made things seem harder than they are because finding stuff and waiting for pages to load, having to codify so much, etc, was such a pain.

NG projects make building out boards, sprints, workflows, etc, really really easy to where it's almost irritating that the limiting factors are "simple by design".

Simple is more of a style/design philosophy. NG is definitely simpler, aesthetically.
Basic is the function of capability.

We enjoy how simple it is, which makes doing complex things easy. We don't enjoy ways that this has been forced to be basic though.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 17, 2019

Hello @Matan Levin,

As you already know it is not possible to add anything above Description. 

In Next-Gen issues, you cannot even add a custom field below Description (the left part of the screen). All the custom fields land on the right side of the screen with limited width and height. 

The decent workaround it to try a plugin that can help with tracking acceptance criteria through a panel located below Description. 

I can propose the Issue Checklist Pro app or its free of charge sibling Issue Checklist Free.
Both provide an easy way to create a list of items associated with checkboxes. Along with many other useful features, they help with tracking Definition of Done or Acceptance criteria. 

Please take a look at the screenshot below:

issue-checklist-panel.png

Cheers,
Jack

2 votes
Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2019

Hi guys,

We are starting a body of work that will allow you to add multiline text fields (will be called the paragraph field) and the environment field to the main content body of your issue view. We need to modify the issue type screen in project settings first, but I wanted to let you know it is coming.

I know you said you wanted to place it above the description @Matan Levin,  but I just want to call out that you will only be able to add these custom fields below the description upon release.

Regards,

Nathan

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2019

Great to hear Nathan. Thanks for sharing. This will certainly go a long way to help NG users.

Mick C March 29, 2019

Is there a timeline, even an approximate one? I find it almost unbelievable that this basic functionality (to add multi line text inputs) wasn't part of the MVP.

Sonder Living At CODARUS
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 12, 2019

Hooray.  Is there an estimated delivery date for this ?  I need a large data field on my NG request 

Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
August 12, 2019

Hi @Sonder Living At CODARUS ,

You will notice the Issues Types page in Project Settings now looks different (as we just released those changes).

We are now working on the Paragraph field. I can't give you a time but it is coming. 

Regards,

Nate

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2019

Hello everyone,

Also, to chime in on this you can follow progress at the following feature request by adding yourself as a watcher to get updates via email in regards to the Paragraph fields @Nathan Sturgess mentioned above:

And don't forget to keep an eye on the Public Roadmap for recently released and upcoming features for Jira cloud at the following link:

Regards,
Earl

Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2019

Thanks @Earl McCutcheon for sharing that. Sorry guys I was not aware of the updates to this post. 

As an update, we are working on the paragraph field right now and it is very close to being released.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer