Custom field removal

Gokul Pradheep March 1, 2021

Is that safe to remove custom field which is not used by any screen so far?

3 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi Gokul,

Deleting a Custom Field means that the historical data on the tickets is also deleted. Looks like CF isn't used according to your description. You can also use the JQL function to verify whether the CF contains any data:

"custom field name" is not EMPTY

If there are no results, the field is probably not used. If there are results, verify the validity. Unfortunately this will not help to find issues from the projects where Permission Scheme doesn't grant you browse project permission/hidden with Issue Security.

You can try this addon for help - Optimizer for Jira 

Pavel

Gokul Pradheep March 8, 2021

@Pavel Junek - Thanks for your practical clarification. We've decided to keep the cf as it has historical data

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2021

Hi @Gokul Pradheep

deleting custom fields can be tricky - depending on the complexity of your installation.

What Pavel said earlier is absolutelety right.

Using the query

"custom field name" is not EMPTY

I felt in a trap in earlier days, like he explained in my practical example there was one project which was locked down using Issue Security and the JQL query returned an empty result set.
This was the affected issues were just not shown to me, because of Issue Security.

Luckily there were only a few issues affected but cleaning up custom fields can lead to data loss if not checked properly.

Another interesting topic to consider is if the custom field is part of any validator/condition in whatever workflow.
Finding them is not so easy - you will likely need to review them all.

At least for Server (on-premise) "Power Admin" helped us several times in the past if a clean up is possible without any dangers. Pavel mentioned the Optimizer - this is also a good alternative we used in the past.

Regards,
Daniel

@Daniel Ebers - Thanks for making understand.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user March 1, 2021

Hi @Gokul Pradheep ,

I will tell you the way I know.

Yes, you can delete the unused custom fields from your instance, there is a simple way to delete the custom fields using this app, Jira Command Line Interface (CLI)

Provide the custom field name/id to the below CLI action and run the same:

--action removeCustomField --field "My-field" --continue 
(OR)
--action removeCustomField --field "14229"

Thanks,
Raja 

Hi @[deleted] - Thanks for showing possibility in JIRA CLI.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events