Custom field description on the screen is different from the one in details

Gregory Kremer January 24, 2022

Very strange thing is happening. I've been asked to change the description of the custom field, which I did. However, it still appears on the "create" screen with an old description. And no, I don't have 2 different custom fields with the same name.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2022

Hi Gregory,

To change the description, you will need to edit the Field Configuration for that project. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2022

yep, this has always been confusing IMO, i.e. knowing where the help text is found.

Like John Funk likes this
Gregory Kremer January 24, 2022

Thank you all. Appreciate your advise. But I agree that it's very inconsistent and confusing for us to change this in the general config "Issues" section, and the have to do it in each Field Config, as needed. In my opinion, general change should be propagated throughout the system.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2022

well it is because custom fields can have contexts and therefore different help descriptions. uncommon but possible 

0 votes
Emely Middelkoop August 17, 2022

I have the same problem. Regardless if I edit the description in Custom Fields or Field configuration, the description I entered is not showing at all. I've read all related questions but can't seem to find the solution. Hope you can help out. 

Edit: please ignore this post, found the problem

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

Hi Emely,

It is always better to create a new question in the Community so that more people will see it.  :-)

But let's see what we can do here. What is the field that you are changing the description for? And are their multiple field configurations in the field configuration scheme? 

Emely Middelkoop August 18, 2022

Hi John, 

Thanks for your reply. Noted, next time I will create a new question. 
I think I may have found the problem, although, I found my descriptions.
Usually the descriptions were shown in or under the field but now they are hidden behind the 'i' the information icon. I rather would have it straight forward visible for the viewers/users. 

Any ideas? 

Oh btw, there were 2 field configuration schemes, I deleted one of them. And just one field configuration. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

No, there's nothing really we can do about the interface in how Atlassian chooses to display the description for each field. But glad you figured out what was going on. 

Like Emely Middelkoop likes this
Emely Middelkoop August 18, 2022

Thanks for the swift reply

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS