Creating task under the Story

Simonas Murauskas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 9, 2022

Hi, Just wondering if there is a way to structure Story/Task/Sub-Task relationship?

At the moment when creating a Story, I can only create Sub-Task. Can I structure so that under the Story, I could create Task and under the Task, would be a Sub-Task?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

Hi Simonas,

No, you will not be able to create that structure in Jira. Task and Story function at the same level and cannot be children of each other. 

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

To add (a little) to what John said, you cannot with Jira out-of-the-box. However, if this a requirement for you nonetheless, it can be done with an Atlassian Marketplace app (apps that add additional functionality to Jira).

If this is the case for you head over to the Atlassian Marketplace and try searching for Jira apps, on cloud, that offer "custom hierarchies."

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=custom%20hierarchy

Hope this helps.

-dave

Like John Funk likes this
deisenberg September 8, 2023

The fact that this is still such an OOTB restriction is incredibly annoying though. Atlassian decides the structure we can use, end of story? We have to turn to other people who were also so fed up with it they made workarounds? 

It seems at this point, if they ACTUALLY cared about their customers needs, they would implement something that enough of the community wants, instead of trying to "but, but, but the internet says you should do it this way!" BS us. 

This is not the first time I've run up against an Atlassian problem where they literally just ignore the entire community, and just act like "get rid of us, see how much THAT costs you, guess you're stuck!".

If I could, I'd tear it all down at this point and find better companies for our SDLC needs. Terrible community relations

Like Irene likes this
0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2022

Hi @Simonas Murauskas ,

Jira has 3 issue types like Epic, Base, Subtask.

Task and story both are base issue types (standard issue types).

As per my knowledge, you can create same issue type (base type) request under other base issue type. like you can't create story under task or task under story like that. 

EPIC --> Base or standard issue type --> subtask

Out of the box, you can create base issue type under epic and subtask and base issue type.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events