Creating and Managing a Product Roadmap in Jira

Hello,  We currently manage a roadmap outside of Jira with projects assigned to quarters similar to this: https://image.slidesharecdn.com/product-roadmaphowtocreateaneffectiveone-140926123131-phpapp02/95/product-roadmap-an-8-step-process-to-create-and-effective-and-compelling-roadmap-for-your-product-36-638.jpg?cb=1411735429  

We then use Epics, Stories, and Tasks in Jira to assign the work to sprints and track progress until they are put into a monthly release.

The problem arises when it's time to update the roadmap with statuses and schedule new projects.  We have duplication of work and having to look in different places.

What is the best way to also manage our product roadmap with it's associated Epics, Stories, and Tasks within Jira?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 answer

0 vote
Tarun Sapra Community Champion Jun 16, 2017

Helo Chuck,

You can you "Portfolio" plugin by Atlassian, it's exaclty meant for roadmap tracking. We are also usign the same, I have divided the project into Phases and these Phases are parent types of Epics and the whole hierarchy can easily be configured in Porfolio. Fix/versions of projects act as releases and releases can be configured in portfolio across projects as well i.e. each release having issues from across various projects.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/portfolio/agile-roadmap-planning

Cool.  I'm checking out a webinar tomorrow on Portolio.

Hi Tarun,

Thanks for the recommendation, but based off the number of Jira users we have I don't think we'll be able to use Portfolio.  Any ideas of other tools or methods within Jira Software?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Mar 28, 2018 in Jira Software

Can a company’s culture make or break agile adoption?

Can a new-to-agile team survive and thrive in a non-agile culture? If so, what advice would you give to those trying to be agile in a non-agile culture? What's the key(s) to success? Share your thoug...

12,059 views 15 13
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you