Create project via Shared configuration - any update on this including Users & Roles too?

Simon Rigler October 4, 2019

Hi there,

We create many projects via Shared Configuration (great feature) and, like other users, we wish there was also the option to apply the same users & roles setup. e.g. for projects of a certain Category, not only do they have the same schemes (workflow, screens, permissions etc) but they all have the same Product Owner and Delivery Manager, and the Permission and Notifications scheme is configured in a specific way for those roles. 

Having created our new project with all the right schemes in a matter of seconds, it's a shame we have to go and add the users and roles manually afterwards. HArdly a massive deal but we're so close to having it all done for us!

I notice from this 2017 post response by a Jira community leader that adding Users & Roles to the shared config functionality would be added as a future improvement - has anything happened on this?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Set-default-quot-Users-and-roles-quot-for-new-project/qaq-p/600094

(Note: Wasn't sure where to look for myself, I couldn't find a Jira Software backlog board though I'm sure it exists?!)

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

Hi Simon,

I have the same need. I create a project based on an existing project, which attaches the schemes as I want. But I have to go back and add all of the people. 

Here is the link to a ticket in Support for this, but it only has a couple of people watching. Maybe you can vote for it.  :-)

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67048

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

The closest you might be able to come is to link the Roles to a Group, then you have just one change to make for each Role for each new Project. Then maintain the common people in the Group. That way you don't have to put individual people in everytime.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

Hi Simon - if that works for you, can you click on the Accept answer button to close this out? Or do you have other questions?

Simon Rigler October 21, 2019

Thank you for this suggestion ... as per my  previous reply on setting a global default, using a group would reduce the configs required however it would mean that all people in that group get notified about a particular project, when in fact these roles are very dependent on the part of the business that owns a particular project.

So i think we'll just carry on as we are for now; i.e. setting the Roles manually for each project, as required.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

Hi @Simon Rigler

I'm assuming the alternative of using defaults in that older post is not an option here? To use the default project roles, go to Jira Admin > System > Project Roles and manage the default list / default members.

I couldn't locate a suggestion for this - but there is a suggestions area, see here.

Ste

Simon Rigler October 4, 2019

Hi, no the global defaults would not be appropriate because, just like the case described in the 2017 post, our Jira instance is used by many other business groups who would not want those same roles or users.

Suggest an answer