Set default "Users and roles" for new project

Lars Anderson June 21, 2017

When creating a new project I use the option "Create with shared configuration" to copy the settings of another project that has already been setup to my requirement. However the assigned users and roles will not be copied to the new project. 

The default user groups "administrators", "jira-developers" and "jira-users" are linked to the new project instead of the groups that I linked in the previous project.

Is there a way to overcome this small annoyance?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2017

"Create shared configuration" is not a "copy".  It's telling the new project to use the same configuration objects as the old project.  If, for example, you look at the "workflow scheme" for the projects, you'll see they both use "Workflow scheme A".  If you make a change to that workflow scheme, both projects are affected.

The roles for the projects are different, there's no shared configuration of users and roles. 

What is happening is that the global defaults are copied at the time of project creation.

Have a look under Admin -> Users -> Roles.  You'll see that for each role, there can be defaults, and I suspect you'll find your three groups are named in those.  Change the defaults to what you want, and then try creating another project with shared configuration.

You're right. I did mean "use the same settings" instead of "copy".

I tried looking under Admin -> Users -> Roles but I can't seem to find "Admin" to begin with. Any chance they are called differently??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2017

Ack, sorry, that's because I was in an older JIRA mode (upgrading someone, again)

By admin, I mean "log in as an admin and hit the administrator's cog at the top right".  It'll give you a menu with at least six options, one of which is "system" - hit that.

Now, to the left, look for "Project roles" in the "security" sub-section. 

Like Sebastian Pahl likes this

Ah, yes now I found it. I was on this page before when trying to find it out myself. Withouth luck though ;-)

I see the default roles indeed. Unfortunately I won't be able to change these since there also other projectmanagers active in the same JIRA environment who will not be using my default requirements.

I guess it's just "helaas pindakaas" ("unfornately peanutbuttery" literally translated = a Dutch saying) then. Or is there any way to be able to have multiple defaults in the system depending on e.g. Project category or any other indicator?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2017

I'm afraid they're global defaults.

JIRA expects project admins to get their new project and set up the users they need.  The global defaults are just there for a basic default.

Okay. I will have to set this up each time. I will file an improvement request with Atlassian. Maybe this funcionality can be added as an improvement in the future.

Thanks for your help and quick repsonses! It's much appreciated!

Suggest an answer