Create new project with same custom fields configured to an existing project

Boyd K November 29, 2022

Using Atlassian Jira Data Center 9.0.0 in a self-managed/hosted air-gapped environment.  How does one create a Jira project such that it is using the same custom fields configured to an existing Jira project?  I created one using the "Create with shared configuration" option.  The new project was set up to use all the schemes (issue type, workflow, issue type screen, and field configuration) similar to the existing project.  However, I am see that all the custom fields (32) had to be configured one by one to the new project.  Is there a way to create a project from an existing project so that all the custom fields configured to the existing one are also configured to the new?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hello @Boyd K 

What exactly do you mean by the custom fields had to be "configured" to the new project?

When you create a new project using the "Share settings" option (exact name of this option varies depending on your product and hosting type) then all the custom fields defined in the Field Configuration and Screens for the source project should be available in the new project.

Now, if you have defined a Context for the fields and set that as applicable to a specific project, that might have to be adjusted to include the new project.

Boyd K November 29, 2022

After creating the project using the "Create with shared configuration", I notice that after creating an issue in the new project that none of the custom fields are listed or available.  I went to the Administration > Issues > Custom Fields and check each of the custom fields and the new project is not listed with the existing/other projects under "Available contexts" column.  Thus, I needed to click on Actions > Configure and Edit Configuration to add new the project in the "Choose applicable context" section.  Only after then were the custom fields appears in the issues for the new project.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Thank you for that additional information.

Can you confirm that the new project is, in fact, using the same schemes as the specified source project?

Can you provide screen images of how you set the options in the Create Project process on the page where you selected the "Create with shared configuration" option?

Are you using Jira Server or Jira Data Center? What version are you using?

Boyd K November 29, 2022

Yes, per the new project's Settings > Summary, it is using the same schemes as the source project.

I am working in an air-gapped environment where screen images, files, and data cannot be extracted or exported from the environment due to security.

I am using Jira Data Center 9.0.0.

After clicking on "Create with shared configuration", I select the project which I "like to share configurations with."  Then I provide the Name, Key, and Project Lead for the new project.  The new project is then created.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

Thank you for the additional information. Sorry I asked for version info; I see you provided that in your original post.

In the Context for the custom fields, are they set to Global context (available to all projects) or set to apply to only specified projects?

I'm working in Jira Cloud, but this may be applicable to Jira DC also.

When the Context of a custom field has been configured to make the fields applicable to only selected projects, I find that when I create a new project that shares the configuration of a project that includes the custom field, then the Context for the custom field is not updated to include applying the field to the new project. The Context of the Custom Fields is not part of a scheme that is shared. The Context for Custom Fields is independent of any schemes and so is not part of what is included in the "shared" configuration.

Boyd K November 29, 2022

I specified projects for their Context.  I am guessing that is why I had to update the Context with the new project, right?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

Yes.

I updated my reply to include that detail after originally posting it.

Boyd K November 29, 2022

OK. well then that is the answer.  Thank you.

Suggest an answer