Create linked issue does copy content from parent issue (How to stop this function)

Jannis Friederich February 14, 2023

Hello Community.

If i use the "Create linked issue" button on a issue it does create a new task but also copies the values of the description field, the title, assigne etc.

I can't find the setting to stop this automated "cloning" of the parent issues values.

Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-14 um 13.05.04.pngBildschirm­foto 2023-02-14 um 13.05.50.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2023

Hi @Jannis Friederich , welcome to the Community. There isn't a configuration for this. I believe the origin of this "create linked issue" was related to when a JSM issue needed to create an associated issue in a SW project and typical desired behavior was to mirror the data in some fields.

@Jack Brickey

Many thanks for your response. Unfortunately I can't find a solution to my problem with what you wrote. I can't remember activating such a Mirror setting anywhere. Do you have any idea how I can remove such a link again?

We use Jira Sofware Cloud and are working with several projects. This behavior happens in all of them.

I have checked the Automation in the project settings. There is no rule activated.

Interesting situation. Some days ago we activated the Zendesk Jira Integration. There is an option to "always copy the content" from Zendesk into Jira Issues.

But how could there be a connection between these two options?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2023

Hi @Jannis Friederich ,

sorry, if my previous response was not clear. What I meant to indicate was that there is no solution for this. This is the default behavior and it is not configurable. I don't know of any workaround. You may wish to reach out to Atlassian support directly to see if there is a better answer for you.

@Jack Brickey Thanks so much for the clarification.

This mirroring of the fields content during creating a linked issue is a new behavior, which has not happened in the last months, as far as i can tell.

I will contact the support. 

Thanks.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2023

Please keep us posted on any response you get on this. I don't recall for sure, but I thought that this has been the case for a long time, if not always. But, I absolutely could be mistaken here.

I will keep this post updated.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jannis Friederich February 15, 2023

I received the following links form the support.

Seems like this feature has been recently extended from the Jira Work Management into the Jira Software.

The copied content needs to be deleted manually since there is not an option yet.

So i guess we will not use the linked issue button anymore, but create Issues and link them afterwards. Which is a pitty...

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Changes-to-how-linked-issues-are-created-on-Jira-Cloud/ba-p/2234059

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-80509

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2023

Thanks for updating us. I suggest extracting this and marking it as accepted.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events