Create button shows incorrect sprints

Krzysztof Rosół January 16, 2021

When I use a Create button (this main button at the top of menu) the system shows me suggestions about sprints from all projects. Currently all suggestions comes from deleted or archived projects or finished sprints. None of suggestion comes from actualy selected project.

Ok, I can search by name, but this is such annoying when you try to add a issue and have to remember about the name of this sprint. Sure you can use naming conventions for sprint names, but it looks like workaround for a premium software.

Do you have the same issue? Perhaps we have to enable some magic option?

1 answer

1 vote
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2021

Hi @Krzysztof Rosół 

Sprints in JIRA are global objects as issues from any project can be added to a sprint and the edit of the field is also not scoped.

If you use the agile board, to add an issue to the sprint, only the relevant sprints are pulled up in the board and it makes things much easier.

Would like to understand your process. When you create a ticket, you directly put the issue to a sprint instead of grooming them in the backlog and planning the sprint? Do you think Kanban would suite you more?  

Krzysztof Rosół January 19, 2021

Hi @Fazila Ashraf

thank you for your response. I'd appreciate if JIRA works as you described.

Example.

I click Create button and select a sprint. The first one is future sprint for the project Nest. Unfortunately this project is deleted, before deletion we have deleted also each sprints.

Next suggestions (all sprints) comes from other deleted projects that does not have any sprints created (only backlog).

What is missing? Most recent project's sprints for active projects.

I can't understand why if there is a separate field Project, sprint suggestions comes from different projects? There is even strange behavior if I choose project A but sprint B.1, then JIRA creates an issue within project B. Even if this project is deleted.

Expected solution

Perhaps JIRA should present sprint suggestions from selected Project a the very first field for Create button. Don't you think?

My case scenario

I'd rather use JIRA to collect my ideas and organize them within sprints, rather than performing a whole sprint management procedure (gather tasks, create a sprint, perform a retrospection). So my most common scenario is to create a new task/bug for current sprint for my current project.

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

@Krzysztof Rosół  ,  Are you sure you have deleted all those sprints? deleting the project do not delete the sprints.  You can check on https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-t-delete-sprints-from-deleted-projects/qaq-p/1288122 on how to delete these not needed sprints now.

I agree that it be very desired to see the related sprints first in the suggestion but atlassian development haven't implemented such change yet.

Please create a support request with Atlassian to share this suggestion with them. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events