Create a Issue Type above an Epic. (Themes, Features)

DJ September 15, 2023

Hi

I have created a new Issue Type (Theme) which I would like for it to sit above the Epic level and potentially hold a number of Epics . How can I do this out of the box?

3 answers

5 votes
Akash Kumar Gupta September 15, 2023

Hi @DJ - You should have Advanced Roadmap in your JIRA instance in order to add an issue type as a parent of Epic. Advanced Roadmap is available with Premium JIRA license.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 19, 2023

Hi @DJ

as @Akash Kumar Gupta suggested, the best way to add additional hierarchy levels is via Jira's issue hierarchy configuration as described here.

The only disadvantage is that, for the time being, additional hierarchy levels are only really well visible in Advanced Roadmaps, which is part of Jira Premium. (I'm saying 'for the time being', as AFAIK, this will improve over time and become more integrated with the rest of Jira.) 

If Jira Premium is not an option for you, there's various options from the Atlassian Marketplace to show additional hierarchy levels. E.g., this is how additional hierarchy levels look in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira:

5-level-hierarchy.gif

(For context, JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting. Issue hierarchies can be created based on built-in parent child relationships (including the ones you configure as described above), as well as issue links.)

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
RVS_Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2023

Hi @DJ 

You will need Advanced roadmaps for this. Another option would be to issue links to create your own hierarchy and an app would be required to view the same. If you are open for mktplace solution you can try our add-on. 

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

In the example below I have created an Issue type "Initiative" and i have associated it with an Epic using Issue link.

The app is free upto 10 users. Do try it out.

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Links Hierarchy Initiative - Summary Report.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events