Create Recurring Epic

Anthony Scott Asbury January 4, 2022

Hey community,

I'm looking to create a recurring Epic in Jira on a Board for our department. 

I see the option for "Recurring Tasks" but that doesn't seem to satisfy the goal we're trying to accomplish. To sum it up, is it possible to create an epic that repeats? For my example we want to see the following epic repeat on the Roadmap calendar each quarter. Where it will show a bar such as below, in each quarter of this year.

If additional clarification is needed, please let me know. Thank you!

2022-01-04_15-31-51.jpg

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2022

Hey @Anthony Scott Asbury  - I noticed you have not responded. Do you still have a need for this? 

0 votes
Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2022

Hi @Anthony Scott Asbury 

There are lots of things to consider, sometimes it is easier and more efficient to create 4 issues once a year, then try to overcomplicate it with other tools.

Eg. our app The Scheduler allows to schedule issues also epics, but until it gets created, it wouldn't show on the roadmap. However tasks can be crated ahead of the start, and our app allows to link start/end dates (those dates are visible on roadmap) dynamically to the issue creation:

The Scheduler - scheduled epic with start due dates.jpg

Additionally you can use some predefined variables in summary & description, to build more specific names

Cheers,
Łukasz

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Anthony Scott Asbury 

What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?  And...What is your criteria for recurring? 

• When do the upcoming epics need to be available on the roadmap?
  • What is the effort/data needed to create each one?
  • How do you use these future quarter epics?

You could manually create these for the upcoming year's quarters.  You could also use a scheduled automation rule which creates the epics in this pattern.  For example, start with the next 4 quarters created and then have the rule create the new one as one completes.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer