Create JIRA issue via Email for helpdesk

bezawadas December 29, 2020

Currently we are using a external email forwarding rule to send the helpdesk requests into Jira. Microsoft has changed there default behavior to block external email forwarding. Since email forwarding is a security concern and can break without notice we need a more robust way to get tickets into Jira.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Hi @bezawadas

there are, indeed, possibilities to create issues/tickets from e-mail.

Are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Service Management Cloud? I am just asking because you referred "helpdesk" but implementation will differ on if you use Jira Software or Jira Service Management.

For Jira Software in Cloud the appropriate documentation would be:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

For Jira Service Management it is:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/receive-requests-from-an-email-address/

Regards,
Daniel

bezawadas December 30, 2020

We are using both Service Management and Jira Software. The current implementation what we have is 

1. User sends an email to the email address for each project
  2. That email is forwarded to a Atlassian email address via a mailbox rule
  3. Service desk ticket is created based on incoming email message

We have non jira users who report the issue through email. As a general security rule we want to block external forwarding of email messages. This has a risk of exposing sensitive data to third parties without our control. Microsoft has increased there security stance on this and now block external forwarding of emails. This breaks our process at step 2 above. We are looking for an alternate way to get requests into Jira without relying on the forwarding rule.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

If i do get you right then you are redirecting support@example.org to projectname@mycompany.atlassian.net - is this right?

Have you tried as an alternative to register the mailbox directly in Service Management - from what I understood from documentation this is the recommended way and you would not need to deal with forwarders.

yes we are redirecting the project email to Atlassian email. Can you walk me through alternative procedure step by step since I am new to this, the previous configuration was set by someone in my team. 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2020

I'd love to take you through the process but to be honest - it would be a copy&paste of the excellent documentation I linked earlier (please refer to the link above).

The specific page is this one:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/add-an-email-account/

Using the documentation you should be able to link the email account itself to a Jira Service Management channel.
Please let Community know in case you face any specific obstacles.

Thanks for the sending the link. My service desk project has already been configured with default email account "support@exampleorg.atlassian.net" in the Email Request Configuration. Suppose if a non JIRA user sends an email to this address it will create issue in JIRA?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2020

Yes, this is correct but you can also use your own e-mail domain. This is especially useful when you want the Jira sents on behalf of your domain.
Further details can be found in this document:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain/

Say Suppose if I want the non jira users to send email to "helpdesk@exampleorg.com" so that JIRA can create issue, your saying I can set up the configuration from the above document link?  

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2020

Yes, during that you will get a dialog looking like this:

grafik.png

and at the bottom there are options to connect to a custom email account

Here is what I have that, if if follow this documentation "https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain/" the below address will change to "helpdesk@exampleorg.com",is that what your saying?jira issue.JPG

@Daniel Ebers I want my users to use "helpdesk@exampleorg.com" instead of support@exampleorg.atlassian.net",is there any way i can do that?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2020

Yes, using option "connect a custom email account".
I don't see why you should not be able to. In case there is a specific error please tell Community which error message you are specifically receiving.

Like Dallas Devam likes this

Okay thanks...I am trying understand the actual procedure. Will try out the configuration of what you said. For now based on my understanding your saying if any non jira user send email to "suuport@exampleorg.atlassaian.net " a issue will created by jira for that project right?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2021

Yes, that's the idea.

0 votes
Dallas Devam January 1, 2021

>Have you tried as an alternative to register the mailbox directly in Service Management

When I try this it will not authenticate; even after telling google I recognize this login from jira; and use the correct credentials.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2021

Could you please post the exact error message?
If possible supported by a screenshot?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events